cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BENT install on SQL 2000 server?

si2424
Level 2
Hi we recently upgraded the version on SQL on our BENT 9.1 SP1server from the MSDE to SQL2000 SP3. An accounting package (Great Plains) is also using this server which is what lead to the upgrade. During this, it looks as if the BENT database got detached, now BENT is no longer running. I tried to reinstall Backup Exec, but get the error:

"Application popup: VERITAS Backup Exec (TM) 9.1 for Windows Servers : There is no BkupExec instance name specified for SQL Server. Install will not be able to install the databases needed to run Backup Exec. Please create a BkupExec instance name before installing VERITAS Backup Exec. "

So it looks like I need to create an instance for BENT on the SQL 2000 server but I'm unsure how and I don’t want to compromise the Great Planes data.

Please help!
3 REPLIES 3

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
This the error and technote - http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/258602.htm - but because you have 9.1 - you won't need to download MSDE from MS.

Either on the 9.1 CD or the downloaded source change to the \WINNT\INSTALL\MSDE directory and run this command:-

Setup.exe INSTANCENAME=BKUPEXEC BLANKSAPWD=1 /L*v C:\MSDE.log

Once that is done, install BE again.

si2424
Level 2
Thank John, I saw the technote before but I didn't know if it would be a problem if I attempted to install MSDE on a server with SQL 2000 already running. Is this OK? Thanks, Bud.

Vidyaj__Patneka
Level 6
Go ahead with the technote and let us know if the issue is not resolved.