cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New RALUS Agent on Solaris 9

Mark_Ellis
Level 3
I have recently upgraded our system from 9.1 to 10 and all went smoothly. (I am hoping v10 will iron out a couple of persistent issues - just maybe!)

However, I have left our Solaris servers using the old agent as a test upgrade on one Solaris server caused me problems. It may be I am missing something stunningly obvious but I cannot make it work. Problem is as follows:

New RALUS agent installed succesfully on Solaris box. Old agent disabled. Box restarted. New agent starts, old one does not. New agent identifies itself to the media server. Attempting to access the Solaris box from the media server I am prompted for authentication details (it appears to require actual username/password rather than the old fixed password method). For now, I give it root's credentials which it accepts. However, no + sign appears by the machine and I am unable to get to any files or folders to back up. I am not denied access as such, they just don't appear - almost as if they are not exported.

Under the old client one had to export a path (often / ) to back up. The new client install does not ask for this and I vaguely suspect that this is what is missing. However, I can find no documentation on the new client (other than brief install notes). I certainly can't find any info on the options for the /etc/VRTSralus/ralus.cfg file.

Where do I go from here???

Mark
4 REPLIES 4

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Couple of things to check for here..

- Have you entered in the serial for RALUS in BE? Check in Help About, License information - it should show that RALUS is installed and licensed.
- RALUS exports the whole \ by default, you do not need to specify this.
- You can exclude directories automatically by editing the ralus.cfg file and adding lines
SOFTWARE\Veritas\Backup Exec\Agents\Engine\RALUS\SystemExclude 42=/dev
Where 42 is a unique number you can specify for each line.
- Do you run NIS? If so, did you manually create the beoper group, and then add root to it?

The only doco so far, is in the Admin guide for v10.

Mark_Ellis
Level 3
It would seem point one on you list was the (maybe obvious?) answer.

The product was not licensed. I have to confess I had not realised that the new unix agent would be a cost option rather than the old scheme.

Does anyone know of any good reasons to upgrade in this case? The non-existent documentation does not give any good reasons to upgrade!

Mark

anoop_nair_2
Level 6
Hi,

Many RAWS enhancements also apply to RALUS (but may still require separate validation)

1. Remote agent advertising

2. NDMP reverse data connection

3. Some backup-via-NIC functionality

4. Push install technology using RSH & SSH

5. All procedures may run from install media

6. High performance
-Reduce/eliminate network latency for file meta-data access and block transfer operations

-Agents are 32-bit but are fully supported and operational in 64-bit environments

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Think the major thing in RALUS is the better speed you will get with backups and now restores.

No more slow restores like the old UNIX agents, they should go somewhere need the speed of the backup.