Senario:

Server x has the tape device and is a dc W2K
Server y is a file server W2k with no tape device
*We run full backup on Sunday
*We run Incremental on Wednesday
*We run Differential the other days
Servers are on same subnet right next to each other

Which is the best practice of the two

1. Create 6 jobs and backup up each serverseperately meaning 2 job running each day

or

2. Create 3 jobs and backup both servers meaning 1 job running each day
3 REPLIES 3

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Personally, I wouldn't be mixing incremental and differential, I can't see any mix of these being a best practice.

Does your Sunday backup fit on one tape? It so, the choice is simple. Replace the lot with two jobs, one for each server. Then have two jobs (one for each server).
Otherwise, pick a system (incremental or differential) and stick with it. Then have four backup jobs (each server, different jobs).

I do find per server jobs easier to manage, but then, it depends how many servers you have. Anything that results in more than 6 jobs or so becomes annoying to schedule, so in that case, I make one job with multiple servers.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please refer the Admin Guide which will help you decide which type of Backup is best suited for your environment.

You may download the same from the following link.
VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for Windows Servers Administrator's Guide (English)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/266190

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as assumed answered and moving it to answered questions pool.