cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEServer CPU runaway

Bill_Haughee
Level 2
I beleive that database maintenance is causing my system to go into a CPU runaway condition.

My reasons for suspecting the nightly DB maint is because I discover the system bad most mornings when we arrive (and it hasn't happened since I disabled DB Maint).

I would end task on beserver then restart the services and all would typically be fine till the next day.

Can I manually rebuild the db or further troubleshoot this problem?
4 REPLIES 4

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
What if you run the DB maintenance during the day time ?

Regards
A van der Boom

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

For test purpose disable Antivirus before backup if it is running on the machine.

Is BE installed on existing SQL instance?
Please ensure that the latest antivirus updates have been applied to your system. Scan your system.
Verify if the Microsoft SQL 2000 is patched with SP3.

Run the the repair on the BEDB database. Refer this technote:
How to run a database repair in VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.x for Windows Servers when the original database is found to be inconsistent http://support.veritas.com/docs/265180

Additionally in the Tools > Options > Job logs --> Ensure that Summary information only is selected to minimize Job log verbosity .

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Colin_Ard
Level 3
Bill,

I had a very similar problem a while back. Turned out to be the media catalogs in the media sets. I run a combination of B2T and B2D jobs. There were over 42GB of catalogs in the media sets for my B2D jobs. When I went into the media set and deleted the overwritable catalogs out of the media sets, my CPU utilization returned to normal and about 25gb of the catalogs went away.

Bill_Haughee
Level 2
Thank you for your response. I have answered your questions within your original message below...
>
> Is BE installed on existing SQL instance?

No it has the BE bundled SQL which shows Version 8.00.760

> Please ensure that the latest antivirus updates have
> been applied to your system. Scan your system.

Done. We use SAV 9.0 System scans clean.

> Verify if the Microsoft SQL 2000 is patched with SP3.

I'm trying to determine this. It shows shows Version 8.00.760

> Run the the repair on the BEDB database. Refer this
> technote:
> How to run a database repair in VERITAS Backup Exec
> (tm) 9.x for Windows Servers when the original
> database is found to be inconsistent
> http://support.veritas.com/docs/265180

I will do this - I was wondering if I could manually kick off a repair (as was suggested in the first reply to this post) but I didn't see how as these jobs appear to schedule themselves.

> Additionally in the Tools > Options > Job logs -->
> Ensure that Summary information only is selected to
> minimize Job log verbosity .

Now you probably really hit on something! This started to happen after I'd turn up the logging detail on jobs.