cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEUtility to change DB location without shutting DB down.

Ben_Rollman
Level 3
Running 10.1 and our db is on another server and that server is running several mission critical databases and can't but shut down unless it's 2am on a Saturday and I'm not about to do this switch then.

If I've set up a new db, is there a way to run BEUtility or even some command line functions to switch the BE database without shutting the original one down?  I've been wanting to upgrade to 11 but I'm running into the same issue and I'd like to take BE's db off this server, just without having to stop the SQL service.

Thanks.  

2 REPLIES 2

Ben_Rollman
Level 3
Just an idea, is it possible to remove the server running BUExec from the network, change the location of the db using BEUtility or another configuration method, copy the BE DB to another location, ideally the same server the application is on, have the app see the new DB locally, then rejoin the network?

I don't mind doing a manual change, I just can't be bringing the current database down.  

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Are you looking to move the Catalogs or your job defs, media sets, schedules etc to the new server, or both?

Every night, BackupExec creates a backup of the database in the \Data directory.  you could copy the BEDB.BAK file to the new server, then run BEUTIL and select "Drop database and recover from a file" and point it at the BAK file

You should be able to copy the entire \catalogs directory to the new server with no problems.  Just stop/start the BE Services to re-index them on the new server.  You will need to Inventory each media before you can restore from it (tape or BKF file)

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 12-07-2007 10:56 AM