cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEWS 12.5 not recognizing HP ultrium 448 after updates

Rsutton81
Level 2
Hello,

I have had BEWS running for a couple years at my client and it has worked fine until about a week ago it started giving me an error message saying there was no media in my tape drive, even though there is a tape in there. Here is what I have tried so far:
Cleaned tape drive with cleaning tape
Tried 4 different tapes
Reinstalled the Symantec Tape Drivers
Rebooted the server

The tape drive is a HP Ultrium 448 LTO drive. The problem started after I ran Live Update and udpated my BEWS server. I also updated all remote agents and did a backup of teh server after updating. Please advise what else I can do to solve.
5 REPLIES 5

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited
First download and run HP LTT (Library & Tape Tools):
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?pnameOID=406731&locale=en_US&ta...

See if you can do a firmware update to be sure to run on the latest verstion.
Second you can run diagnostics with the tool, maybe it gives usefull information.

Rsutton81
Level 2
I downloaded the tools but it says my drive is not a support drive.

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Is the Tape Drive detected properly in the Device Manager of Windows? If its a Windows 2003 Operating Syatem could you check if NTbackup is able to use the tape drive without any problem??

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Is the tape drive connected external or internal ?

Is the tapeunit detected at startup of the server ? (with most scsi adapters you see the connected devices during boot of the server)

If external, please power off the unit, then shutdown your machine, poweron the tape unit and power on the server. And watch if the scsi-adapter detects the tape-unit.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
LTT will detect your tape drive if the BE services are stopped. BE maintains a hold over the drive. Stop your services and check it through LTT.
Furthermore, I would suggest you run the Device Configuration Wizard in BE 12.5 and reinstall your drivers that way. If it doesn't work, revert to older drivers to see if it works.