cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEWS 12.5 remote agent installation problem on Media server running on Windows 2008

bghu
Level 2
Hi!

I've installed BEWS 12.5 64 bit  on Windows 2008 standard 64 bit edition.
When I try to install the agent remotely to other servers (mostly Windows 2003) I get an error:
"Error connecting to the remote registry of server. Ensure that the current logged in account is not blocked from accessing the remote registry and that the remote registry is available before try again."

I tested this with Windows 2003 as Media server and it worked fine. So the problem must be on the Windows 2008 system. I used a domain admin account for installing.
What can be the problem?

Thanks in advance,
Gabor
6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Add in your account you're using to the Local Admins account on that server and try again.

bghu
Level 2
The user is in the Administrators group on the media server and on the servers I want to push the agent too. Besides it is also a member of the Domain Admins group. 

kkate
Level 5
Accredited
Please refer the below mentioned technote.

Its will help you to resolve asI had fixed the same error with refering the below technote

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/244066.htm

Please reply for further queries.
Cheers

Regards
KK

Candace_B_
Level 2
I'm running BE 12.5 on Windows 2008 32 bit.  It sounds like I'm having the same issue as mentioned by bghu.

When I try to install the agent remotely to other servers I get the error message:
"Error connecting to the remote registry of server. Ensure that the current logged in account is not blocked from accessing the remote registry and that the remote registry is available before try again."

I have no problems installing the agent remotely from my Windows 2000 server running BE 12.5 so I'm wondering if  the problem is with Windows 2008.  Both media servers are using the same domain account.

Has anyone found a resolution for this?

Dev_T
Level 6

Hello,

If you have BE 12.5 with SP2, you can try this:

On your Media server-
1.Browse to C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Agents
2. Go to the agent folder you are having issues with. (RAWS32 or RAWSX64, etc)
3. Goto the Updates Folder
3. Create a folder called OLD and move all of the updates ending with .msp to the OLD folder

32-bit
If you have recently installed SP3 for v12.5, move only the RAWS322213RSP3.msp file back
into the C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Agents\RAWS32\Updates folder

64-bit
If you have recently installed SP3 for v12.5, move only the RAWSx642213RSP3.msp file back
into the C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Agents\RAWSX64\Updates folder

4. Try and push a remote agent install now..

Basically, you would expect when you upgrade your BE12.x installation, the install process would check this folder and make sure the proper updates are in this folder and remove any updates (.msp files) that arent needed.

In the case of 12.5 SP3, One would expect the SP3 agent update to contain all previous SP1. post-SP1, SP2 and post-SP2 hotfixes but with Symantec,
you never know.

If you check the version of the remote agent on the remote server by going into the Backup tab on the media server, selecting a server and then selecting properties. If the version says anything other than x.x.x.158 then stop and restart the agent on the remote server, hit F5 in your Backup source selections and check the version properties again.
(version 12.5.2213.158 after all is said and done)

Candace_B_
Level 2

Hello Dev T,

Moving the updates ending with .msp and keeping only the RAWS322213RSP3.msp didn't resolve my issue. 

All of my backup servers log in with a local admin account.  My Windows 2008 backup server will push the agent only if it is logged in as a domain admin.  I'm only having this issue with my Windows 2008 backup server.  That makes me think it is something specific to Windows 2008.

My Windows 2000 and 2003 backup servers have no issues.