cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUE 12.5 runs MASSIVELY slow - maybe Windows Update?

CharlieMan
Level 3
I've been trying to figure out why, on one of the three backup servers I manage, backups have suddenly begun to CRAWL after a Windows Update pushed on 12/20/2009.  I say "maybe" in the subject because that's about the last thing I haven't looked into yet as to why this is happening.

The only updates that I can see were installed on that day include:

KB974318
KB973904
KB974392
KB976098-v2
KB9763295

I've already verified that our virus scanning isn't getting "in the way" of the backups.  Backups will start out at a normal pace, and then drop to about 90 mb/min.  This shouldn't be a network issue, as the server that is having the problem (the only one out of the whole server room) is also the server that acts as the backup host for this job, and tape drives are local hardware devices / Backup Exec runs on this server.  The data being backed up amounts to mostly a huge number of very small files (scanned document images).

The issue began starting with the first Full backup after we applied patches for December.  Has anyone  else heard of something similar?  Google didn't yield any results searching for problems on these releases.  I'm trying to see if I'm on the right track before I try to get approval from the Network Manager to roll-back Corporate-mandated patches ...
3 REPLIES 3

CharlieMan
Level 3
Correction: Patch # KB9763295 should be KB976325.

MarkusK
Level 4
Hi,

i´ve never saw a correlation between MS Updates und Symantec Performance.
Is you BE uptodate?
What we had in the past, was a outdated firmware of the SCSI / FIBRE Controllers, that held down the performance.

Check at this end to see if your uptodate.

kind regards
Markus

CharlieMan
Level 3
Actually I just discovered this server is running BackupExec 12.0, NO patches.

I see the highest SP for BackupExec 12.0 is SP4 - does this require a reboot?  The server in question is live / production and only likes reboots late after hours or weekends.

Job speed is getting worse; last night's failed jobs ran at 9mb/min.