cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back-up Exec job failure - the directory is invalid

justin_m_parker
Level 3

new to symantec, having problems setting up differential backups, company had backup lists already setup for differential backups mon-thurs and a full backup every friday, when i started my position here i realized the backups havent been successful since October of 2011, running test runs of the backup lists will kick back a "failed" response almost immediatley. After setting up new list with the appropriate files selected to be backed up ive found that the back up will run all the way through nearly and then fail as well, my print out simply reads thus "(Server:"servername")(job: differential backup) Differential backup -- the job failed with the following error: The directory is invalid. Now i could be mistaken but the fact that i can even select that server from the selection list tells me it is a valid directory so why am i recieving this failed message? any help would be greatly appreciated as im not very familiar with Backup exec

9 REPLIES 9

justin_m_parker
Level 3

also the job log for this backup shows each backup starting and completing but my job completion status reads:

Completed Status: failed

Final error: 0xe000848c - unable to attach to resource. make sure all selected resources exist and are online, then try again.

Final error category: resource errors

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

can you paste exact errors from failed job log ..does the resourec credetial test completes..in new and old job?

justin_m_parker
Level 3

thanks for the tip but remote agent is running fine, and there is no other conflicting process using port 10000 aswell, ive checked there already

justin_m_parker
Level 3

Job name: Differential Backup
Job type: Backup
Job status: Failed
Job log: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEX_HEALTHSYNC1_00210.xml
Server name: HEALTHSYNC1
Selection list name: differential

All Media Used
LTO000001
Error category: Resource Errors
Error: e000fe09 - The directory is invalid.
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65033

Every set in set detail information says backup completed but the final status still fails

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

Refer this: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH71493

What antivirus do you have, also does the resource credential test completes successfully?

justin_m_parker
Level 3

using Vipre antivirus and i belive i have localized the issue to one server in particular, for time lets say the main server running backup exec is Server1 and the server thats failing is server 2 the error message says thus: 

Network control connection established between 192.168.2.201:4378 <--> 192.168.2.202:10000

Network Data connection established between 192.168.2.201:3935<--> 192.168.2.202:4474

V-79-57344-33932  -  Unable to attach to a resource. make sure that all selected resources exist andare online. and then try again. if the server or resource no longer exists then remove it from the selection list.

and also should i go ahead and setup a new list with server2 excluded so atleast some of the necessary files are getting backed up?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you using the same selection list for both the full & differentials ? If different, compare the lists to verify exact same resources on both job..

If you using the same selection list & full completes, but differential fails, try creating a new selection list

justin_m_parker
Level 3

ok thanks for all the help, im going to try create new lists after checking differential against the full list, also going to make a new list excluding server2 so some files will be backed up incase the new list with server2 fails as well

justin_m_parker
Level 3

ok aftr everything else ive done so far im still getting the same error message kicked back at the end of the backup process,

-job completion status

completion status: failed

Final error: 0xe000fe09 - the directory is invalid

error category: resource errors

refer to link v-79-57344-65033

any ideas?