cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back up and Over write function

SPE
Level 2
Hello,

I am attempting to recycle some of my back up media tapes but have had an issue when an appending back up job carries over to a 2nd media tape - which will not allow me to over write another media tape that I would like to recycle. Basically, I have set up an over write back up job for Mon morning that works fine and over writes the older (2 yrs +) media set in the drive. On Tues morning, I am able to append another back up job to the media tape used in Mon's job; however, I run into an issue when I am asked for a 2nd media tape to finish the Tues job because I have to use a new tape instead of recycling (over writing) another older tape.

Is there a way to append my Tues job to the media tape from Mon job AND be able to over write the 2nd media tape to finish the Tues job?

Thanks.
1 REPLY 1

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Is there a way to append my Tues job to the media tape from Mon job AND be able to over write the 2nd media tape to finish the Tues job?

Not sure I understand what you are asking

When the first/append tape fills up,  BackupExec will only continue on a scratch/overwriteable tape.  It will look first for either a scratch tape or an overwriteable tape in the target media set depanding on your global option

if the tape you want to continue on shows in Black when  you inventory it, set the OPP of that media set down  by one day and inventory again, when it shows in blue, BackupExec should overwrite it with no problems