cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back up goes to the harddrive instead of tape

Ilya_Vishnyakov
Level 3
Hello. We had back up set up, which is saving exchange data to the tape nightly. But one day there was the power outage, so once we restarted the server, the previous job was lost. So i set up the new job. However, it writes data to the exchange harddrive now, instead of the tape. Maybe I set the new backup job the wrong way? I never did this before. The guy who was here before me, left. Why do you think the job is saved to the hard drive instead of the tape?
3 REPLIES 3

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Check within the Job Setup tab to see which Device Name your backup job is pointing to currently.

By default it will point to All Devices (), so if it's still pointing there you'll need to adjust your backup job to point it directly at your tape drive, otherwise Backup Exec will choose one of the two available devices to use, which as you're seeing might not be the one you wanted.

Ilya_Vishnyakov
Level 3
There are:

Device Pool:
All Devices (Myservername1)
Quantum
Myservername1:
Back-to-Disk-Folder1
Quantum1
Usb1(offline)

The one in bold was chosen the last time. So i assume that I need to to choose "Quantum" one....

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Yep, set the job to use the Quantum as the device rather than All Devices, and you should be fine.