cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackUp Exec 10d Running on Win 2003 TS - Have to constantly restart service

Craig_Fairgriev
Level 3
I've recently installed a fresh copy of 10d and now find that I have to restart all the BE services to get anything to work.
If a new tape is put into the drive (external HP StorageWorks SDLT) the application won't realise it until the services are restarted. It's the same with the backup, in order to run a full backup (which will eventually run) the services have to be restarted each and every time.

Any ideas?Message was edited by:
Craig Fairgrieve
7 REPLIES 7

Ricardo_Pistari
Level 5
Sorry, but I have to ask...
Do you run an inventory job after put the tape into the drive?

Craig_Fairgriev
Level 3
I've not done so far.
I'll go do it now and see if that helps.
Thanks for getting back to me

Craig_Fairgriev
Level 3
OK I can run the full catalog of the original backup tape ok.
Yet when I either eject the tape or try to run a new backup (without removing the tape) I once again have to restart the BE services.

I've also noticed that even when there is no tape in the drive itself, the application lists the tape as still being in there.

Ricardo_Pistari
Level 5
If you eject the tape from hardware (press the eject button on the drive), BE don't notice that.

You must to run an eject job... OR you inventory the drive after ejecting the tape.

Craig_Fairgriev
Level 3
Right got you, thanks for that.
When I run the inventory, the application now sees what tape is in the drive, great.

Next issue, when I try to run a backup, the tape that's in teh drive (doens't seem to matter which one) is spat out right at the start and the job stays on "Loading Media".
Pushing the tape back in, just makes it get spat back out again.

I've created a new Media set and added the tape to it. I've also stuck in in scratch media first so that it knows that it can be overwritten but no joy.

I guess I'm doing something wrong here, but can't seem to find out what.

Ricardo_Pistari
Level 5
If you quick-erase the tape, the job fails also?

Craig_Fairgriev
Level 3
Did the quick erase last night, recreated a new Media set, ran test backup, then did an inventory and ran a full backup again.

Last night the backup ran without any problems.

Looks like I'll have to format the original tapes, then re-add them to the new media set.

Thanks so much for your help!