cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing Up Network Desktops

Kevin_McPhail
Level 2
I need to back up PC hard drives on my network from the server. It appears I need to purchase the Desktop and Laptop option, but I just wanted to make sure that was the right product.
7 REPLIES 7

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

The majority of business-critical information which resides on employee workstations, desktop and laptop can be protected using this option. The Desktop and Laptop Option delivers continuous data protection to desktops and laptops whether in the office or on the road. This option enables users to restore their own files, and maintains synchronization between multiple desktops and laptops so the most up-to-date file versions are available on all of a user’s computers.

Hope this information is helps.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to the ‘answered questions’ pool.

Kevin_McPhail
Level 2
Thanks for your response. It appears that the Desktop and Laptop Option is not exactly what I need then. I need something in v10 like the Remote Agent in v8.5 that made scheduled full or differential backups of a PC's hard drive. What is comperable in v10?

Joseph_Schein
Level 3
I suggest you use windows backup on those specific machines to goto a hidden share folder on a server:

\\servername\backup$

And schedule windows backup to kick off in the evening before your tape backups begin.

Had an issue with desktops and laptops not being on the gig network so when veritas uses the remote agent to connect, the speeds slow down the entire backup process. My solution was to have the specific required machines do a scheduled windows backup to the server, overwriting the existing file, using it's own bandwidth. That way when the server was backing up using the tape drive, it didn't have to hit 15 remote desktops and have any issues with slowness or users still working.

Kevin_McPhail
Level 2
Thanks - that would work; however, the thought of eating up that much server storage space is not appealing. One reason is we currently pop an outside mail server so each desktop has a several-GB PST file in addition to O/S and local files. That's why the Remote Agent worked so slick in v8.5, but it won't work on XP machines.

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
Kevin,

The version 10 remote agent is compatible with XP. Here is some info:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/270139.htm

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hello Kevin,

Please let us know if the earlier provided solution has helped resolving the issue.

==================

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Kevin_McPhail
Level 2
Yes, thank you. Now I gotta figure out how to run it!