Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing Up over a specified NIC

GrahamGUK
Level 2

Hi,

Hope some one can point me in the right direction

I have in my backup server and also in my data server two NICS, (both servers have 1 teamed NIC and 1 1GB connection) I can see in the BE2012 how I can specify which network card for BE 2012 program to use,

But is there any way I can assign the remote agent (on the data server) to respond on the 1GB NIC only ?

Thanks

Graham

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Suppose you have 2 NIC's on your remote server, subnet A & subnet B, and the media server appears through A and B as 192.168.10.10 and 192.168.20.10 respectively.  The remote server is 192.168.10.11 and 192.168.20.11 on subnet A and B respectively. Your DNS resolves the media server as 192.168.10.10. Subnet A is the subnet for your usual work and you want to use subnet B for backup.

You got to do the following

1) Add the subnet B addresses to the Hosts file on both the media server and the remote server.  For example, add 192.168.20.10 to the Hosts file on the remote server.

2) Run the BE Agent Utility on the remote server and make sure that is is publishing to the media server subnet B address.

3) Edit your job and in the Network and Security section of the job properties, select NIC B.

4) As a connectivity test, disable the NIC to subnet A and make sure you can ping from the media server to the remote server and vice-versa.

5) If step 4 succeeds, then run a small test job.  If this test job suceeds, then you are done.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Rahul_Kumar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Graham,

If you specify a Backup Network on backup server the remote servers try to resolve it on that subnet. So if it is able to resolve it on that network then backup will happen through that network.

Also if during remote agent installation you have issued different network then go to remote agent publishing tab and add the IP you want to use.

Thanks

teiva-boy
Level 6

The most reliable method to do this (while you can choose the interface in backupexec) is to use DNS or host file entries.

Because backuping up clients is to heavy on host name resolution, (both forward and reverse lookups) using alias in DNS works great, as does HOST file entries.  However, it's one more thing to manage...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Suppose you have 2 NIC's on your remote server, subnet A & subnet B, and the media server appears through A and B as 192.168.10.10 and 192.168.20.10 respectively.  The remote server is 192.168.10.11 and 192.168.20.11 on subnet A and B respectively. Your DNS resolves the media server as 192.168.10.10. Subnet A is the subnet for your usual work and you want to use subnet B for backup.

You got to do the following

1) Add the subnet B addresses to the Hosts file on both the media server and the remote server.  For example, add 192.168.20.10 to the Hosts file on the remote server.

2) Run the BE Agent Utility on the remote server and make sure that is is publishing to the media server subnet B address.

3) Edit your job and in the Network and Security section of the job properties, select NIC B.

4) As a connectivity test, disable the NIC to subnet A and make sure you can ping from the media server to the remote server and vice-versa.

5) If step 4 succeeds, then run a small test job.  If this test job suceeds, then you are done.