cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up Backup Exec database (ie. tape catalogs, backups)

Jason_Minahan
Level 3
I have recently taken over BAE administration at my company and want to make we have a way to recover it after a crash. Is there a way to backup the BAE database that contains the tape catalogs, configuration information, schedules, backups, etc?

They have been running a backup of our entire BAE server, but it would be impossible to restore if the server crashes. I have another telephony application with database that has an backup utility that exports everything (config info, all filers, reports, traffic database) to a .zip file. All you have to do is install the software on any system and you can have a full restore in minutes.
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
All that info is in the BEDB database (if you use MSDE, or in a Database in a SQL server if the previous admin chose that route.

If it is in an SQL database , Disaster Recovery is a bit of a pain

if it is in an MSDE database , by default, Backup Exec creates a BEDB.BAK dump evry night. Re-Install BacupExec, run BEUTIL and "Recovery From Dump

The \Data directory should contain all the job logs (in XML format), and should be backed up every night, with the exception of any logs corresponding to active backup jobs. Just restore them and see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/272886.htm to force BackupExec to re-index them after restoring

Message was edited by:
Ken Putnam

clay_bowman
Level 4
I think you should grab the catalogs folder and at the very least get the besernum.xml in the windows folder, this is where your serial numbers are.

Jason_Minahan
Level 3
Thanks. I was very fortunate to of big given a server using MSDB and not SQL. I found all of the important files you mentioned and made a script to copy them to a file server once a week. Now if the hard drive on the BAE server crashes we should have an easier time recovering.