cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec for Windows 10.0 Installation issue

John_Zawadzki
Level 2
A have a customer that purchases Backup Exec 10.0 for WIndows and agents. They currently have 1 Exchange Server running Win2000Server with a Tape Device, 2 Remote Win200Servers with SQL running. Ultimately they want a full Backup of all 3 servers including SQL on 2 remote servers and the Exchange Storage group on the Exchange Server which includes the Tape Device. The quantity they had purchased:
(1) Backup Exec Windows License v.10
(2) Backup Exec Windows SQL Server Agents v.10
(2) Backup Exec Windows Remote Agents for Windows v.10
(1) Backup Exec for Windows Exchange Agent v.10
This is my first time installing. What is the best way to install this scenario. Looking through Documentation I would:
Install Backup Exec for Windows on the Exchange Server which has the destiantion Tape Device.
Install Exchange Agent for Windows on the Exchange Server.
The tricky part I dont understand is where would I install the 2(SQL Server Agents) and the 2(Remote Agents)?
Would Backup Exec for Windows and the SQL,Remote agents need to be installed on the 2 Remote Servers that house the SQL database and that we need a full backup of? Or do the SQl,Remote Agents need to be installed in the Primary Exchange Server that has Backup Exec for Windows installed and Tape Device? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

Dennis_Stratman
Level 4
Everything gets installed on the Media (Exchange) server. Part of the setup is to "push" the remote client out to the machines that you want to backup. It is during this process that you tell the system which portion of the remote client to install (exchange mailbox, sql, file, etc). When creating the file selection, you will select the SQL database(s) to backup from each machine chosen.

Hope this helps!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
To expand a little on Dennis' reply

The "Agents" for SQL and Exchange are just serials that unlock the functionality to backup those databases, there is no code installed on either the media or database servers

if you have problems pushing the RemoteAgent from the serial installation, see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/265736.htm to perform a "Silent" install at each remote server

John_Zawadzki
Level 2
Thanks Guys. It all makes sense now.