cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up between two different domains without caso

OAnetops
Level 2

I have two domains each with their own backup 12.5 exec install and each running their own jobs and I am wanting to setup so that the data from the backup jobs from the tape drive on one domain will be able to be duplicated to the tape drive on the second domain.   This would allow me to restore systems locally but I would be able to duplicate the data off-site as well.

Does anyone know if this can be done with having CASO installed? 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

To be honest even CASO does not achieve exactly that

If you shared a library between 2 servers than both servers could restore from the tapes (which CASO does provide as an ability but from a licesneing ppoint of view you would need the SSO license as well - even if you don't install SSO) - and you might have problems with the domain boundary.

However even if this works this would not be a second copy, both servers would see the same tapes.

To have the same set of data on two different tapes you have to run duplicate jobs - so would need 2 tape drives on the server running the job - or to be using backup-to-disk for one destination instead of tape.

Then you could physically move the tapes to the other servers and inventory and catalog them.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

I don't see it being possible without CASO. You need something in the middle that has access to both servers and their hardware. 1 BE media server won't see the other's tape drive without CASO controlling things...

If you were duplicating to disk, THEN it would most likely be possible without the CASO...

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

To be honest even CASO does not achieve exactly that

If you shared a library between 2 servers than both servers could restore from the tapes (which CASO does provide as an ability but from a licesneing ppoint of view you would need the SSO license as well - even if you don't install SSO) - and you might have problems with the domain boundary.

However even if this works this would not be a second copy, both servers would see the same tapes.

To have the same set of data on two different tapes you have to run duplicate jobs - so would need 2 tape drives on the server running the job - or to be using backup-to-disk for one destination instead of tape.

Then you could physically move the tapes to the other servers and inventory and catalog them.

OAnetops
Level 2

Yeah, the backup to disk option and then having the media server on the other domain pull from the disk folder works good.

Thanks for the answers.