cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up data over multiple sites

Alex_Jsys
Level 2

Hello,

I have a client using backup exec 12.5 for Windows servers. They are using two standalone servers at two seperate sites. The client wants to set up duplicate backups, so everything is backed up at both sites for disaster recovery purposes. We are storing all our data on the network using backup to disk folders.

What would be the best way to setup the backups and restores? I know how to make a job create a duplicate after running a backup, but how do I store it so the other server could see the backup to disc folder? Would I have to make a shared backup to disc folder? (currently don't have that option, but it looks like a simple solution) Please give me any suggestions, and if any more information is needed let me know. I'm new to the IT industry, so I'm still trying to figure things out.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Best way is upgrade to 2010 R3  with DeDuplication (which will need media servers and disk storage in both sites) and then configure Optimized Duplication (possibly with an Internal Private Cloud configuration) using CASO.

12.5 does not have DeDuplication which means you are limited in terms of the amount of data that might need to transfer over your site link (bandwidth requirements) and additionally the lack of the Private Cloud ability does put some limitations on how the backups can be manipulated on the server that is at the remote location from the original data)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Best way is upgrade to 2010 R3  with DeDuplication (which will need media servers and disk storage in both sites) and then configure Optimized Duplication (possibly with an Internal Private Cloud configuration) using CASO.

12.5 does not have DeDuplication which means you are limited in terms of the amount of data that might need to transfer over your site link (bandwidth requirements) and additionally the lack of the Private Cloud ability does put some limitations on how the backups can be manipulated on the server that is at the remote location from the original data)

Alex_Jsys
Level 2

Thanks for the feedback that sounds like a good plan!