Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up larger server with BE2010

sjw7
Level 2
Partner

Hi all

I have a situation in a small environment which comprises of the following. 

1 x Windows server running Backup Exec 2010.

1 x Windows File server comprising of 5TB of audio and video media files.  This is stored on a HP P2000 Fibre Channel storage node.

1x  LTO3 Fibre Channel attached Tape library with one drive

At the moment the the backups are unable to stream to the LTO3 drive fast enough and are never getting above 20MB/s.  Because of this a full backup is taking the entire weekend to run.  The data will increase in size in the next few months and the tape library will need to be replaced as it will run out of capacity. 

The problem is that upgrading to an LTO4 or 5 drive in a new library will increase the capacity but will not help with the backup speed as it will still be too slow to stream to the drive.

Backup Exec cannot multi stream so I was initialy thinking of splitting the backup job on the server into several parts and running them at the same time to effectively get multiplexing.  However I dont think Backup Exec can send multiple jobs to a single tape drive at the same time and im not sure if it can run muiltiple jobs from the same source agent concurrently.

My options appear to be limited but if I use the Shared Storage Option will it improve the backup performance by going across the SAN instead of the LAN?  Alternatively have I hit a limitation of Backup Exec and need to look at Netbackup instead so i can increase the number of streams going to the tape drive.

Disk based backup is an option but I wanted to make sure I have explored all the avenues open with tape.

Many thanks

Simon

9 REPLIES 9

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

I think the first thing is to investigate (before you spend money) is why you are only getting 20MB/s. You should be getting much more than that, particularly as audio and video files tend to be large.

Also, you haven't hit a limitation is size of Backup Exec, just capability (no multistreaming). There are people backing up environments with thousands of servers using Backup Exec.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

SAN SSO will get around this. It is going to allow you to run your backups from your Windows file server directly to your FC-attached tape drive.

Currently your jobs will be going over the LAN. If you had multiple small files, this can explain away your slow speed. THat said, downloading the HP LTT from the HP website will allow you to see if you have any issues with the drive itself.

The only downside to SAN SSO is that every server that will be backed up across the SAN needs to have a FULL version of BE installed (it becomes a media server), and any licenses needed to back up data.

Craig

JoaoMatos
Level 6
Partner

I think you may have a "Network" problem.

Investigate if your Switch is allright.

May be you need a firmware upgrade, tape library, switch, hbas...

Check cables, Gbics...

Regards,

JoaoMatos

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Strongly agree with Joao

Speeds in the 20MB/sec range usually point to a network bottle neck of some kind

Verify the NONE of the NICs/Switch ports are set to AutoNegotiate.  Hard set each end of each pipe to the fastest setting they share (100/Full for example)

CraigV

...any news here?

sjw7
Level 2
Partner

hi all

Unfortunately not been able to get hold of the customer to see if this is resolved yet but as soon as i do I will update the message as soon as i get any feedback.

Cheers

Simon

MitchR
Level 6

After you figure out why you're getting slow throughput consider:

-BE can't multi-stream, but you can run multiple jobs at once.  Just select & run folders 1-10 as job A, folders 11-20 as job B, etc.  You'd be better off with several smaller jobs, taking advantage of multiple drive heads.  Also is good for recoving from a failed job- just re-run the part that died.

Consider weekly or monthly fulls, with daily (or whatever) differentials.  Odds are all those media files don't change much.

This also sounds like an excellent environment for a SAN snap-shot.  If you can (you are on a SAN, right?), have your SAN make a static read-only snapshot of the data, and present it as a local LUN to you backup server.  Then have the BR server backup the data from this locally mounted drive - Vola! no network access at all, and thus no network bottlenecks!

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

With a single LTO 3 tape drive in his library, he can run only one job at a time to the tape drive. Second job can be targeted on to a B2D folder.

CraigV

Hi Mitch,

Please read previous posts before replying with the same/similar suggestions.

Shotto!