cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup 10d best practices questions

David_Imamura_2
Level 3
I have a w2k3 sp1 server (DC) with backup exec 10d with latest patches with idr, aofo, exch agt, and enough remote agts. And two remote servers I want to backup - one remote server has w2k3 (DC and exch 2003 sp2) and the other remote server has windows 2000 (DC and exch 2000 sp4).

I wanted to check if:

1. backup of the media server itself (local backup) using AOFO (forced MS VSS) & exch agt is safe/ok?
- current results are 100% successful. No exchange on this box (so exch agt doesn't do anything). I forced AOFO since automatic AOFO will select VSP and it fails.

2. backup of a remote w2k3 (DC and exchange 2003 sp2) server using AOFO (forced MS VSS) & exch agt is safe/ok?
- current results are 100% successful. I forced AOFO since automatic AOFO will select VSP and it fails.

3. What's the proper way of backing up the remote windows 2000 (DC with Exchange 2000 sp4) using 10d?

I currently have two backup jobs 1) a job which does the remote windows 2000 server's exchange 2000 infostore only with NO AOFO, but with exch agt and this results in 100% successful backup. I think this I had to do this since BE 10d will error on the info store if I turn on AOFO and it uses AOFO (automatic selection - it selects VSP).
2) a job which does the remote windows 2000 server's drives, shadow copy, mailboxes, public folders using AOFO and exch agt. This results in completed with exceptions (due to being unable to backup wins.mdb, dhcp.mdb, etc...). How can I fix this - I was assuming AOFO would get these, but sounds like the wins and dhcp never release the file? So how does one backup these files?

Any advice would be appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4

Shraddha_Dhaval
Level 6
Hello David,

Please refer to the following documents.

1) Symantec Backup Exec (tm) 10d for Windows Servers Administrator's Guide (English)

http://support.veritas.com/docs/279401

2) What is the intended use of the Open File Option and the Advanced Open File Option?

http://support.veritas.com/docs/263784

3)The Backup Exec Advanced Open File Option cache file is not deleted when running Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition on the system.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/257796

Hope this will help you.

Please revert in case of any clarifications or doubt.

Thanks.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
It sounds like you're doing it right to me.
Exchange Information Stores shouldn't be backed up with AOFO, and you're not.
Backing up the servers hard disks and system state, and getting some exceptions is normal. Many of the files that are skipped, such as wins.mbd and dhcp.mdb should be backed up as part of the system state, so don't worry about it.
I don't bother backing up the mailboxes and public folders as it's slow, and we back up the Information Store.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please could you provide an update on this case.

Thanks.

David_Imamura_2
Level 3
Thanks folks for the advice.

Here's what we ended up with at our site:
1. Backup of media server (w2k3 sp1 DC with BE10d) - full backup w/ AOFO on(forced MS VSCS).
2. Backup of future exchange 2003 server (w2k3 sp1 DC with Exchange 2003) - full backup w/ AOFO on (forced MS VSCS).
3. Backup of older exchange 2000 server (windows 2000 sp4 DC with Exchange 2000) - two backup jobs. Full backup except for Exchange information store w/ AOFO on (auto). Another backup just for the Exchange information store w/ AOFO turned off.

Backups all run 100% successful.