cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup 2 Disk won't overwrite

Russell_Mohn
Level 3
I have a full backup to disk that is supposed to overwrite each time. Instead the job appends. I have the media protected for 5 days. The full is run every Friday night and roles over to Saturday.

I can only erase the backup sets for the previous job but not delete them.

How do I configure Backup Exec 10 to overwrite the previous backup and not append. The job says overwrite.
3 REPLIES 3

MAJED_SHARIF
Level 4
Hi,
According to my understanding the soluiton is for overwirte the job rather than append the job is,

In Backup Job Properties, Media and Device under the Destination heading check the OVERWRITE MEDIA rather than "Append to media, overwrite if no appendable(which is selected by default)". that practice will overwirte the media rather than append.

For the Second problem the solution is ,
Right click the media set and move it to the "Scratch Media" after moving media to scratch media you will be able to delete the media sets..

I hope that will assist you. in the case of proble you are free to ask again.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Have you followed the suggestions as posted in the previous post and has it helped you resolve the problem? In case the issue still persists, do elaborate the overwrite protection perios as well as the append period that you have specified for the backup to disk folder. Also mind that the overwrite protection perios is set every time a job runs. For more information, refer to the following technotes:

Title:An explanation of the "Overwrite Protection Period" and the "Append Period"
http://support.veritas.com/docs/237374

Title: The basics of Advanced Device and Media Management for VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/192265

Do let us know if the information helps. If not, do revert with details. In case we do not receive your update within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Russell_Mohn
Level 3
I found I had to move the files to the retired media and then I could delete them off the disk.

I will now see if the overwrite works correctly with no scratch media files being available.