cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup 2010 from Tech Soup

Darrell_Willner
Level 2
Okay, company bought Backup Exec 2010 from Tech Soup.
Questions:
1.  Is this a full license or trial ware license?
2.  Has anyone who bought Backup Exec 2010 from Tech Soup and installed the software?
3.  Has anyone validated sharepoint license works correctly
4.  Has anyone received red X's on the pre-check?
5.  Did the install work correctly regardless?
6.  Are the standard features operational?

Note:  Symantec states licenses from Tech Soup are trial only and many standard features are not enabled.
Tech Soup states the licenses are fully licensed and all features should work correctly.

Thanks In Advance.
9 REPLIES 9

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi there

Cannot comment on a couple of your questions:

1) Can only be answered by Symantec if you supply us with the keycodes/serial numbers you are entering  when installing the product - if you want to send that to me via the direct messaging within this forum then I can check what serial numbers you have been given (Note the green flashed "Tech Support" banner next to my name is an indication that I work for Symantec in a support role.)

Notes:
If you have not received a serial number then you have a trailware edition (which amounts to the same as downloading for free from Symantec themselves)
If you install Backup Exec with no serial numbers/keycodes then it defaults to a 60 day trial with the ability to trial nearly all options.

4) Red X's on the pre check tend to be warnings that something needs to be corrected before the install can go ahead as such you need to give more information about the messages that accompany the red-x wwarnings

EDIT: Since my initial answer I have dicsovered that Tech Soup are a legitimate partner for distributing our software to qualifying non-profit organizations and it should be a complete license that is issued which should be listed inside the Backup Exec Licensing Screen as an NFR license.

Darrell_Willner
Level 2
Edit by Colin Weaver - Symantec.
Removed customer supplied information as it was visible to the whole world and included license keys and private information.

TJBlues
Level 2
Darrell:

All the products from Techsoup are donated fully licensed products.  However, they do not come with Symantec Support so we are left to work with the people in these forums to try and get issues resolved.  I am currently looking at picking up BE2010 but can not get a clear answer if it works with SBS 2008 Premium and Windows 7 Client computers.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

OK the serial number you entered is the NFR code that enables all options and agents so is a full number

Note: I have removed the details you entered fom your post though as I intended you to send that as a direct/private message instead of publishing it to everyone.

With regards TJBlues question

yes it will work on 2008 SBS Premium edition, the NFR enables the options for SQL, Exchange and Sharepoint and the installation files are exactly the same for the different types of Backup Exec installation (i.e,. SBS, Quickstart, Standard and NFR use the same installation media and just enable or disable different things depending one what serial numbers you enter.)

Against Windows 7 you don't state it you want it to be a Media Server (not supported),  a RAWS client (supported) or a DLO client (suupported)?

Darrell_Willner
Level 2
Colin,  Thanks for the updates, and removing the info. 
How do I send a private email or contact you directly to send the info you requested?

Second,  How to identify and resolve the pre-checks on Sharepoint and
) Red X's on the pre check

server os is 2003

Darrell_Willner
Level 2
Yes the client computers are windows 2007

TJBlues
Level 2
Colin:

Thanks for your quick response and I hope you can help me with this.  First off my network looks like this:
1 - server SBS2008 premium as the Domain server
1 - Server running SQL 2005 (the SQL package that comes with the SBS2008 Premium)
15 - Windows 7 client
1 - XP client

I am running SEP11.05 (I am going to upgrade to SEP11.06 once I sort out an issue with the Domain control server not correctly turning off the Windows Firewalls in my Windows 7 clients so I can run NTP).  Yes I have correctly set up the GPO and it is hitting the clients on startup but seems to make no difference to the Win 7 clients as they will intermittently will boot with both NTP and Windows Firewall running.  I have a case open with Microsoft on this issue and once I have this fixed I can move forward with implementing the way I want to set up my network.

I currently have SEPM on the XP computer (running in pull mode so that there is no limitation on the number of connections).  However I will be moving SEPM to my Domain Server BECAUSE:

1.  I read somewhere that if you have SEP and BE2010 (SEPM and the Manager for BE2010) need to be on the same media server.

2. I want to migrate the last Client that is running XP over to Windows 7.

So my questions are as follows:  

1.  Do I remember this correctly?  Do they have to be on the same Media Server?

2.  Should I put both SEPM and SE2010 manager on the Domain server or on the SQL server?  Keep in mind that I only have about 30Gig left on my C: Drive on my Domain server.

3.   What is recommended for the backup media?  I don't have and don't want tape but could get USB type of hard drives and connect this to the server.

4.  Can SE2010 backup to a server(ish) workstation on the internet (preferably over a non VPN connection to a workstation with a Dynamic IP address).  My thoughts are along the lines of how DynDNS works.  Also I don't have the resources to run a rsync server remotely.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

to send a Private Message, click/right click the name, and in the window that opens, in the upper left, select "Send this user a message"  or youcan send an EMail from the same place

pkh
   VIP    Certified
@TJBlues - You should start a new discussion for your queries.  You can reference this discussion if you want.  We normally do not like to mix problems.