cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Active Directory 2008 R2 - System State

bobit200
Not applicable

Hi,

I am running Backup Exec 2008 R2 to backup my infrastructure, all is ok, but I am a little confused about the the backup state of my win 2008 r2 domain controllers.

In the backup selection of my DC's when I backup the system state I can see the Active Directory checkbox and the NTDS element, (please see attachment called backup).  But when I view the system state restore set for the DC's I can see the Active Directory checkbox but nothing else, (please see attachment called restore).  Is this correct?.  From the restore set it looks like AD is not being backed up at all.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

JK81
Level 4

I believe that BE does not drill down to each component in system state and thats the probable reason why it does not show it.

Could you uncheck the Beginning backup date in the restore window and verify again.

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

That is how it is. In the restore you have to restore the complete system state and can't restore a single component UNLESS you have a GRT BACKUP of your AD.

The backup though shows the component you have in the system state but while restoring you have to restore complete system state if you don't have GRT AD license.

If you are taking the GRT backup of AD with the AD license installed on the BE server then you can see the individual components in the restore windows of your system state.