cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup ESX VMs from a local storage over FC (SAN Network)

mgmasterv2
Level 6
Partner Accredited

hello everyone

can i backup VMs from local ESX storage over  FC Network with BE 2012 SP3 ?

my ESX Hosts and BE Server have HBAs and connected to a SAN Network,  i got VMware  Hyper-V Agent & ESO.

also where can i found related documents?

thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If by local you mean that you ESSX server has only an internal drive than you cannot do a SAN Transport backup, you might be able to do HotAdd (but this has limitations as the media server MUST be virtualized) As such it is likely that your only option is one of the LAN backup methods (NBD or NBDSSL)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Colin_Weaver

do some searching for VMware "SAN Transport" (both against Backup Exec and VMware itself)

mgmasterv2
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thank you Colin , but  i think SAN Transport mode is only applicable when you have Shared Storage Device (EMC - HP...) ,am i wrong?

i cant understan , in san transport mode BE server Must see SAN Luns in "Unknown " State then it uses v-Storage APIs to find what it need to Backup.

my ESX Storage is local, how can BE server access it?

Colin_Weaver

If by local you mean that you ESSX server has only an internal drive than you cannot do a SAN Transport backup, you might be able to do HotAdd (but this has limitations as the media server MUST be virtualized) As such it is likely that your only option is one of the LAN backup methods (NBD or NBDSSL)

mgmasterv2
Level 6
Partner Accredited

thanks

2cool2bhot
Level 2

Hi Colin,

i am new to this product can you please explain me about SSO, CASO and their connectivity.. It will be very helpfull if you breif me about them..

With Regards,

Kumar.

2cool2bhot
Level 2

what is ESX storage on local..??