cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup EXE Job Fail due to .PST

smaccrai
Level 2

I am the network administrator for a branch of my company. At my site we have 2 domain controllers and one exchange server. Standard set up win server 2003. We are using Veritas 10.0 Backup EXEC. When I do backups full or differentials I randomly get job failed due to corrupt .pst files. Here is an example.

Backup- E:
WARNING: "E:\Users\USERNAME\Outlook\archive.pst" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.

Sometimes it is one and sometimes I have up to 10 of these errors. I have tried several variations on Advanced open file. “Automatically Select Open file Tech” “Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service” Automatic allow VSS to select” ect ect.  What configuration or network change do I need to make to get the .pst files to back up or not be seen as a fail.

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The only foolproof way is to ask the users to close their Outlook when they leave the office

smaccrai
Level 2

That is not an option as we are 24/7 site. There is always atleast 50% of the staff on site working. We have over 350 people.  

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can configure BE not to fail when a corrupt items is discoverd:
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH5633

Artegic
Level 6

Storing PST files on a network share is not supported and officially discouraged by Microsoft. I learned that the hard way a few years ago when our file server actually crashed because of that and Microsoft refused support. It may work for a time, but unexplicable corruptions and crashes may happen anytime. Strange, but that's how it is. If you ask Microsoft for a supported alternative they propose Exchange.