cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup EXEC during a restart, files corrupted

tach18k
Level 3

My 2008 server running ver 12 of BE, was doing its normal backup. It appears at the same time windows was doing an update, then it restarted the server. Now the files that were in the folder for backup, that had not been backed up, are no no longer useable, these are all files, Office type, AutoCAD and many more. How do I recover or repair these files. The backup copies over the tape from the backup the day before.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Are you saying your autocad/words files got corrupt or the files inside the backup to disk folder (.bkf ) files got corrupt?

tach18k
Level 3

The server was doing a backup as it does every night. It seems windows was also doing an update at the same time. It restarted the server whilce BE was in the process of backing up. I know that BE tages files for BU and then releases them when they are done. But if a restart occurs it never releases the files. Now all my Office files and DWG autodesk files are shown as corrupt when we open them, and when I try to open them the files can not be open as they should. Excel files open in symbols and radom order and type. DWG wont even open. Oddly on another server with a perfect backup some offcie files are good and some are bad. I dont know if the update by Microsoft was bad and it messed everythig up or what. It is a mess.

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

In this situation the thing which can help you is a restore of those files from the last good backup, try with a couple of files and see if they open up fine after the restore.

The files will be as updated as the last backup slightly better than showing corrupt.

Thanks.

tach18k
Level 3

Last good backup was over written when it began the job. I have no way of looking at the raw files on the tape that I can think of. Since I have about 2 TB of files, not all files got messed up or the system is slow in correcting the files. A look in the Event Viewer showed no errors or problems. Some files seem to work, xls and doc. So I dont know if it is slow and restore the files back to normal.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

To be honest backup exec makes a VSS snapshot request against the voluem and does not duirectly lock the fiels, as such I doubt Backup Exec is the root cause of the problem , although might have been the trigger via VSS with the enforced reboot.

You need to plan to change soem thinsg ASAP in your environment

1) change the settings for applying Microsoft patches so you know they won't affect the operation of other products and won;t aut-reboot (us a manual apply method if you can't find a good fit.

2) change your backup media retention so you don't overwrite the last good backup until you know the next backup has completed