cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10.0 v.5220 is slow on Exchange server

Greta_Boffi
Level 3
BE 10.0 5220 is installed on Exchange server but it's too slow, 30Mb/min

The autoloader is HP DLT718, tested with Veritas.
The backup was running fine with Veritas 9.0

BE is patched and the autoloader is running the lastest Veritas driver (5.1.1) and the latest firmware got by HP
8 REPLIES 8

uz
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Are you talking about information store backup, Mailbox backup or binary backup of the Ex server ? - Or all of them ?

Regards

uz

Greta_Boffi
Level 3
information store, single mailboxes, public folders

uz
Level 6
just to get proove it is NOT the library, have you tried the same backup directed to a backup to disk foleder ?

Doing so - are there any significant changes in throughput ?

Regards

uz

Greta_Boffi
Level 3
backup to disk folder is fine, 475 Mb/min

uz
Level 6
so lets concentrate on the library.

sorry to ask all these questions, but I do not know your system:

is this a clean install from scratch or was it an update from previous Backup exec versions.

Did the library work with other backup software (BE versions) and other firmware etc. ?

Does the system event log show any SCSI or library concerned entries ?

Check the SCSI controllers bios settings (performance)

Disable RSM on the mediaserver (if not yet done)

Regards

uz

Greta_Boffi
Level 3
I removed the old BE 9.0 and I installed a fresh installation of BE 10. The server is managed by a CASO on a different location, but the speed dont change if I run a backup on the local server.
The library worked fine with Veritas BE9.0 and the old drivers.
After the BE 10 installation, I updated the library firmware and veritas drivers.
The scsi card and all the hardware is the same I had with veritas 9.0
I dont have any scsi error in the event logs
scsi card is running the latest drivers (they are the same running with veritas 9.0)

RSM is disabled

uz
Level 6
Is it possible to downgrade the library firmware to the version it ran with BEWS 9 ?

Obviously this is the only thing that changed besides the BE version and the driver.
(you may also test to run HP drivers for the library and the tape drives instead of the VERITAS drivers - but I would check the firmware as reason first.)

Regads

uz

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

- Was the same data backed up to the B2D?
- If the firmware can be changed to the previous version or not, please consult your hardware manufacturer.

- Meanwhile refer the following technote and verify your configuration.

Title:
How to troubleshoot issues with a Robotic Library or Tape Drive in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0
http://support.veritas.com/docs/255501

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.