cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mailbox backup error - " access denied to file "

Anne_Guillo
Level 2
I have a recurring problem with one user's mailbox. Every few weeks, the backup comes up with a failure notice. It indicates that there is a file in use in the mailbox, but it's not in any visible folder. Somehow these files get stuck in this user's Root Folder. I have to use the MDBVU utility to delete the problem file, then it's fine again for a few weeks until it comes back.

The problem file looks like a virus. We've scanned the user's system numerous times. Changing his PC hasn't helped either. Any idea why this is happening? Here's the relevant portion of the job log:

Job Completion Status
Job ended: Saturday, June 11, 2005 at 6:52:31 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error code: a0008488 HEX
Final error description: Access is denied.

Final error category: Security Errors

Errors
Backup - \\NEWGUY\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes Access denied to file Lastname, Firstname FW: .
Unable to initialize Remote Agent for Windows Servers - performing standard backup

Exceptions
Backup - \\SERVER\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes The item \\SERVER\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes\Lastname, Firstname Œ〰〰〰〰挳㄰扥挶㌸ㄳ攴ㄴ昹㐵攷挱㥦㔴挱㄰㜰〰攷敦㔴晤㘴敡つ㜴摢㈰晦〲挴㤳挶㠳〰〰〰挳㝥㤸〰〰攷敦㔴晤㘴敡つ㜴摢㈰晦〲挴㤳挶㠳〰〰〰扢㠱㐷〰〰FW: in use - skipped
5 REPLIES 5

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please create a new account witth the help of the technote below
http://support.veritas.com/docs/242606
Then create a new backup job for Exchange select this newly created account for all the resources under backup job properties-resource credentials then verify the result.
Please update us the result.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Anne_Guillo
Level 2
Hi, thanks for your reply. We already have a Backup Exec service account with Exchange Administrator rights, (on Exchange 2000 Server SP 3) configured as per the technote 242606. Our backups are working fine, so I think it's the mailbox that is causing the problem. I'm wondering if else has had this problem of emails appearing in the Root Folder (and showing up as an error on the backup).

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

From your post it seems that your problem is resolved.

However, if not then I would like to know if the mailbox on which its giving error is present or deleted.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Anne_Guillo
Level 2
The mailbox still exists. The backups are working because I deleted the message that was causing the error on the backup. I had to use the MDBVU utility to delete the message because it's in the mailbox root folder.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

This is for a single piece of email in the deleted items of the user.
Try to delete it in Outlook.
This can happen when another program such as AntiVirus or email scanning software locks down that email. BE cannot get access and has to skip it. In this case it was denied rights completely to that email. But just that email.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.