cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10 Admin Console showing Big Red X, no gui.

wellssh
Level 4

Running Backup Exec 10 on W2K3 SP2.  We recently patched the server with Critical and Security Updates, now when we attempt to open the Backup Exec administration console, a small dialog with a Red X appears, but no GUI.  I click on OK and the gui stays there with a gray, blank screen.

This is occurring on three other identical servers.  Thanks,Sven

4 REPLIES 4

lmosla
Level 6

use this document for steps to restart the services in BEUtility.  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH32682

Dharmarp
Level 3
Employee Accredited

Try restarting the services as mentioned in above article. If you are still using "VERITAS Backup Exec 10.0", symantec stopped supporting and releasing updates for this product. 

As server updated with recent security updates, Either any of the update is blocking the application or Backup Exec 10.0 is not compatible with latest updates. Check the Event Viewer for any compatible issues.

wellssh
Level 4

Thanks for the response.  The problem is not that the Backup Exec services won't start, they are all started and running, the problem is that the administration console starts to come up then a smal square with a Red X in it appears.  The option on the little square is to click Ok, but the console gui stays in a gray, unusable state.

Sven

wellssh
Level 4

Yeah, I was afraid of that.  I'll have to see about removing all of the patches and see if that works.

Thanks,

Sven