cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10 and Autoloader

Carlo
Level 2
 hi, I have Backup Exec 10 and we are moving from a standard tape drive to an IBM 3581 Ultrium Tape Autoloader.

The autoloader has 7 slots one for each day.  BE can see the autoloader and it appears under the robotic library so it works fine.

My quesiton is how to I configure the media sets in BE to make sure that when its used the tape in Slot 1 on a Monday it dosent try to use it on a Tuesday and it moves to the next available slot i.e Slot2

Thanks for any help

Carlo
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Stephen_P
Level 3
 Agree with pkh,
Configure 7 Partitions
Configure 7 Media Sets (Sunday - Monday)
Make 1 Policy
... Within that policy create a job for each day of the week. Each day using 1 of the configured partitions.

The 7 Media Sets are NOT really needed but it helps when trying to find a specific tape for a restore. You can get away with a single media set.

Stephen

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You can create 7 partitions, each with one slot.  Then you would need to create 7 jobs and point each job to the appropriate partition.

Just a word of caution with partitions, if your Overwrite Protection Period or Append Protection Period are not set correctly, then on the following week, the jobs will be unable to find a tape to write to.  It will prompt you for a scratch tape.  If the scratch tape is not mounted, the job will fail, even when the tapes in the other slots are available.

Stephen_P
Level 3
 Agree with pkh,
Configure 7 Partitions
Configure 7 Media Sets (Sunday - Monday)
Make 1 Policy
... Within that policy create a job for each day of the week. Each day using 1 of the configured partitions.

The 7 Media Sets are NOT really needed but it helps when trying to find a specific tape for a restore. You can get away with a single media set.

Stephen