cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10 and Dell Power Vault 128T

colin_weiner_2
Level 2
I’m just upgraded from Backup Exec 9.1 to 10.0 on a windows 2003 server. The server has a Dell PowerVault 128T LTO (holds 20 tapes and has two drives). With Backup Exec 8.x and 9.x, one would have to stop the Backup Exec services to unload/load tapes into the LTO library. Ever since I have upgraded to 10.0, after I stop the Backup Exec services (using bestop.cmd), the LTO unit says it is locked. The only way I can unlock the LTO is to power cycle it. Has anyone else had this issue? What process could still be accessing the LTO after Backup Exec has been stopped? I don’t have the Remote Storage service running and I made sure all the BE services are stopped.

-Colin Weiner
First American Title
4 REPLIES 4

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
What happens if you leave the Backup Exec services running, and then within Backup Exec, under the devices tab, you right-mouse click on the changer and select "Unlock" ?

colin_weiner_2
Level 2
I'll try that when I get back to the office on Monday.

Thanks

Colin

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Colin,
you can try what RAY has advised. And let us know.
We will be waiting for an Update from you.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

colin_weiner_2
Level 2
That worked - thanks Ray. I like this feature. In the past, I would have to do a bestop to unlock the LTO but that was a pain. I have two PowerVaults on one server and shutting down BE just to access one of the tape libraries is not optimal. Is this new to ver 10.0 or was it also an option in 9.x?

-Colin