cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10 and Windows 2003 SP1 + Exchange 2003

David_Chadwick
Level 3
Hi,

Yesterday I installed Windows 2003 SP1 on all of our servers. Everything went fine except for one problem.

Backups of the Exchange 2003 database store no longer work. All servers in question are Windows 2003 SP1 (including the Backup Exec server itself).

Remote agent is installed on Exchange machine. When I click Backup in BE10 and select the server in question, BE10 no longer sees Exchange as being there. I only get the option of backing up the HDDs.

The Exchange license key is still there and appears to be valid. I've removed and reinstalled the agent on the server in question with no success. I've even installed Exchange 2003 on another test box also running Windows 2003 SP1 and had the same problem.

Backup Exec 10 has every hotfix on it.

Is this a known issue?

Thanks,
David
7 REPLIES 7

Level 2
Hi,

I have the same problem. BE10 not seen both Exchange and SQL in selection lists after W2K3 SP1 installed. It seems BE10 still works with saved selection lists, but now it's not possible to add Exchange & SQL servers to new selection list.

I can see this problem on clustered servers ONLY, so
I do not think this is common issue, but still need to be fixed.

Thanks,

Alex

David_Chadwick
Level 3
Hi Alex,

Yep, that's the problem. My Exchange 2003 setup is a cluster also. The test system I tried it on is also a cluster. I don't have any non-clustered Exchange servers but I assume it would work on them.

My SQL instances remain working, but they are not running on a cluster.

Incidentally, even though my Exchange store is selected in a saved user selection list, the backup still does not work. Everything else works, but it fails to connect to the store and misses that part of the backup.

As you stated, creating a new selection list doesn't even give the Exchange options at all.

I'm feeling better knowing that it isn't just me! :)

Cheers,
David

Level 2
Yes I agree backup does not work even with saved selection list. I have very large selection lists and I wrote previous message before backup finished (with errors). So we have exactly the same problem:)

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Not sure if this will work - but with older versions of BE it worked most of the time when you couldn't see the Exchange selections on a Cluster node.

Change the following registry key, on both nodes of the cluster.

HKLM\Software\Veritas\Backup Exec\Engine\NTFS\Restrict Anonymous Support to 1

Restart the remote agent.

See if you can now see the selections.

Level 2
Excellent. I can see selections after this registry change. Now will try to backup Exchange.

Thanks!

Alex

David_Chadwick
Level 3
Hi John,

Great, that fixed it for me too! Thanks a lot.

...and thanks Alex for responding in the first place as well.

I'm guessing that Windows 2003 SP1 has changed some default security setting that requires this registry key in Backup Exec.

Cheers,
David

Not applicable
Just made registry changes listed above, everything back to normal... Thanks!