cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Server as media server

David_Sturgeon
Level 2
Just curious what I need to watch out for if I want to make my Exchange 2003 server (running on Windows Server 2003) a media server? I have a tape drive that I would like to move over so that I can do the mail backups straight to tape locally. I have looked for some info on this but haven't been very successful in finding anything. Are there any negative impacts/issues associated with installing BENT 10.1 on an Exchange server? Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

David_Procknow
Level 3
Why do you want to install BENT on exchange? The thought of it makes my skin crawl. Exchange is a mission critical system and should'nt be co hosted with other services unless you are running SBS or something. You probably won't hurt anything but I would try to avoid it.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

There are no negative issues or impact with having BE and Exchange on the same server. Both of them will work properly together.But as mentioned in the previous post, it will be a good idea to keep a dedicated backup server without any other critical applications on it.

David_Sturgeon
Level 2
I have a dedicated backup server at the moment that has an MSL6030 and a single Ultrium215 drive attached to it. My thought was to move the single Ultrium drive over to the Exchange server so that I could do the backups locally. The concern is that the install or something in the operation of the media server would goof up something with my exchange. Just curious if others have done it outside of an sbs environment. I think I'll stay away from the move for now.