cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10d GUI won´t start

Brice_ROMAIN
Level 3
After installing version 10d (fresh install), and having configured backup jobs, when I close the administration console and try to launch it again, it freezes up on the splash screen displaying a message that says "initializing user interface", but GUI interface never comes up and the process stays in state "not responding" using about 50% of CPU load. OS is W2K.

One strange thing is that, by the way, all backup jobs seems to have been done but no way to check this w/o the GUI.

I checked the following :
- RSS service is up and running
- so does all the BE services, each with the right accounts
- so does the MSSQL services.

I have no errors in the windows event logs nor in BE logs.
The tape library is fully functionnal.

I don't know any way to make a diagnosis of this error, some help is welcome !
9 REPLIES 9

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

1.Please make sure that enough system resources are available (Memory, HDD space, page files)

2.Ensure that many applications are not open .

3.Try by disabling Antivirus software.

4.If OFO option is installed, then initialization may take more time while opening backup Exec application

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Brice_ROMAIN
Level 3
Hello,

> 1.Please make sure that enough system resources are
> available (Memory, HDD space, page files)

1. I checked every system ressources, everithing is ok, the only thing that is different is that the page file is located on other disk than the system disk.

> 2.Ensure that many applications are not open .

2. There are not so many applications open (an oracle database which I cannot stop (I did stop it for testing purpose but it had no effect) and antivirus software (see below for details).

> 3.Try by disabling Antivirus software.

3. Antivirus software is Macafee Viruscan + ePO agent. I tried disabling "on access scan" and nothing else happened.

> 4.If OFO option is installed, then initialization may
> take more time while opening backup Exec application

4. OFO option is not installed. And I let the application trying to initialize during all night and when I came up in the morning the GUI was still frozen.

I noticed that several people had the same problem, could it be a bug in the application which could need a patch to function properly ?

Thanks for your support.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Since the OS is Win 2000 please try installing:
MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3144b72b-b4f2-46da-b4b6-c5d7485f2b42&DisplayLang=en

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Brice_ROMAIN
Level 3
I'll give a try and come here if the error is still there.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Thanks for the update please revert if the problem persists.

Regards,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Brice_ROMAIN
Level 3
Hello,

I installed the update using the link provided but it has no effect, the problem still occurs...

Regards,

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

From the website www.sysinternals.com please down load Tcp view 2.3 and check if port 3527 is used by beserver.exe.

From the following link download and run the MDAC component checker and check if there are any mismatches.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307255 .

Please let us know the results.

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Brice_ROMAIN
Level 3
Hello,

I think I pointed out what was causing trouble : it seems that if I minimize the panel menu on the left under the administration console and then close the application, it become impossible to start it again until i completely reinstall the application.

I could perform this test on a working fresh install.

Can you confirm that other people could have had the same issue so I can figure this is a real issue and that the problem could not come from other part ?

If this is the case, it could be helpful to put a sticky or an announce in top of the forum, so that other users dont spend 2 weeks (like me) working on a GUI bug...

ThanksMessage was edited by:
Brice ROMAIN

I check the 2 points above and here are the results :

- I have MDAC V. 2.8 RTM with no mismatch anywhere
- BE server is OK listening on port 3527

Jakesty
Level 2
Hello, I am having the exact same problem as this one and there doesn't seem to be a resolution to it yet. I have win2k server for an OS, 512mb memory and using 191mb, 1gb free in the boot partition.
This backup was running fine for about 2 weeks. The console was left on the desktop, but when I shut it down, it locked on me. Thinking there was just some kind of memory problem, I just now finally was able to reboot the server. No change. The backups have been running as I get the emails telling me the status'.
It looks like something is corupted, and I'd prefer to fix it over just re-installing.

Any ideas on what I can do?

Thanks, Jim