cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup failed, but did it?

David_Langschie
Level 2
I am a small business IT consultant. I have a customer who is using Backup Exec 8,5 to back up there manufacturing database, public files, and Exchange mailboxes on Windows 2000 SBS.

They keep getting failures from their backups. But viewing the log file, I find no errors. I get an alert message that states the the tape could not be ejected because the device is in use.

Has the backup really failed?
Or is the tape not properly ejecting? ...because the tape/device is bad?

Also, is there a rule of thumb on tape usage? The tapes are 4MM. The entire backup occurs every night. There is no incremental backup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5

Guest_User
Level 4
>I get an alert message that states the the tape
>could not be ejected because the device is in use.

Could it be another backup job starting during an running job?

David_Langschie
Level 2
Yes, that is exactly what happened. But this happened from the previous day. I failed to read the date on the alert message. The most recent backup failed with no alerts.

Chad_Wansing_3
Level 3
I know this really doesn't help much, but I am running BE 8.6, build 3878 and mine do the same thing even though everything seems to run properly. I've tested restores and have yet to have an issue.

We're troubleshooting these issues by taking each server and putting it into it's own job to see if we can narrow down the issues one-by-one, and eventually get everything completed like it needs to be.

Not very helpful I know, but maybe you can put it to some use.

David_Langschie
Level 2
Please keep me up to date. I am backing up a couple of servers. What I will try to do over the weekend is to run separate jobs for each. And even break it down further, if necessary.

I cannot beleive that no have had this problem and has not found out why!

Level 2
G'day. I've had and solved this issue. Time for some minor registry hacks.

Instead of me retyping it all, go to <>.

Basically, if you've got the same issue I had (which it sounds like), the section on "Backup Exec for Windows NT v8.x" and the sub-section "Insert Media Prompt Response".

Basically, I narrowed it down to the drive and BE not timing out at the end of proceedings like it should. This forces it to only wait 30 seconds (or more if you chose but I say stick to 30) before moving on to the next step which in this case, is going back and waiting for the next scheduled job to kick in at the proper time.

Hope it helps.

Now back to hunting for help for my own current problem. :)