cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10d IDR no network driver

JW7
Level 2
Hello,

I'm trying to perform an IDR restore to a DELL PE 850 with Windows server 2003 but the IDR isn't finding the network driver for the Broadcom Netxtreme.

Does anyone know how to make it work?

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

JW7
Level 2
Is there anyone else out there that has ran into this issue.  Does anyone know of any other IDR software out there that's worth a try?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

FWIW,  I've always considered IDR an over-priced piece of garbage.  It does exactly what you would do, in the same order, and saves you NO time in the long run, and does everything behind a wizard.

Naved_Ikram
Level 4
Agreed Ken. But there is an option to install the Network Driver when you run the IDR recovery. It prompts you to install the Network card driver. The information about the NIC card is there in the .DR file which is created when you run the IDR disk creation.

Naved

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
But there is an option to install the Network Driver when you run the IDR recovery.

Exactly what the TechNote I referenced tells you how to do

But the question still remains (even in v11d) if you take an IDR image of a computer that is running and on the network, why do you have to load NIC drivers manually when doing the recovery?

Allen_K
Level 6
Tech Support has supplied me with the following information for this thread:

"The network adapters that uses the Broadcom Netxtreme's driver are custom network bus enumerated devices. Meaning, even before the driver for the network adapters can be loaded, a driver for the bus device that enumerates these adapters must be loaded.

A lot of changes went in Backup Exec 11d IDR and it is completely different from Backup Exec 10 IDR. IDR does not install the operating system anymore like in Backup Exec 10. Instead it boots the operating system from the CD itself. Backup Exec 11d IDR also collects the SCSI and Network drivers and keeps them in the media server as well as in the DRIVERS database on the root of the CD image.

A hotfix was released in Backup Exec 11d to fix the driver loading process for custom network drivers. See

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/287990.htm. After this hotfix is applied, the IDR process will automatically collect both the network bus driver and the network adapter driver and there is no need to load them manually.

In case of Backup Exec 10, you have to manually load the driver for the network bus enumerator first and then load the drivers for the network adapters using the hdwwiz.cpl hardware wizard."