cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Network Drivers on 11d IDR CD-ROM

Bernd_Schlaupit
Level 4
Hello,

I try to perform a remote Disaster Recovery using a network share.
Therefore I installed 11d, incl. HP9 and created the IDR bootable CD-ROM.
All is working fine, up to the point that the network drivery have to be loaded.
This fails. It seems that on the IDR CD-ROm no network driver is available.
I tried to load the drivers from a USB Stick, but no success.
The Hardware is a HP DL 380 G5, using the onboard network cards ( HP NC 373i ). This is porbably a Broadcom Chipset, but I'm not sure.

Can someone help me ?
Should the network driver not located on the CD-ROM ( I386\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS ) ?
How is the procedure to load the network drivers from a USB Stick ?

Thanks, regards Bernd
10 REPLIES 10

perry_baker
Level 6
Employee Accredited
I can't tell if the problem is that the NIC isnt being detected or if the NIC is detected but the driver wont load.

If the actual NIC isnt being detected then I think the NIC may not be detectable by the OS until the chipset driver is installed.

You might be able to get either to install if they have a setup.exe installation routine.

When the opportunity to install a network driver appears press alt + z to open a command prompt. Provide the media that has the setup files for the NIC or chipset and run setup. This may allow the NIC to be detected and installed.

As a rule, if the NIC is only detected after a chipset is installed then it is not expected to work with IDR. But the process I described above may allow you to get the NIC detected and installed.

Tyler_Chan
Not applicable
Hi,

I encountered exactly the same problem on our HP DL380G5. I tried downloading the latest network card driver from HP and tried the "Install Network" option but failed. I could see that 2 network cards were detected (2 network icons with red cross) but the driver just couldn't be loaded. Please help to look at this. Thanks.

BTW, I've already installed Backup Exec hotfix upto 15.Message was edited by:
Tyler Chan

perry_baker
Level 6
Employee Accredited
From your description the NIC's are detected and present so it is definitely a driver load issue.

So if you have installed "ALL" hotfixes through hotfix 15 then the one known defect in which IDR will attempt to load windows 2000 drivers for Windows 2003 will not be an issue.

If that is the case and you are 'CERTAIN' you have applied every BE 11 hotfix (HF9 is the one that resolves the problem I mention above) then it sounds like a support technician needs to do a more in-depth analysis. Of course you should have created new IDR media after installing HF9, if you did not do that then the fix in HF9 will not be present in the IDR image.

Greg_Meister
Level 6
Good morning,

If you are still at build 6235, please download and install Hotfix 19, available here:
If you have upgraded to build 7170, please be patient a little longer, that Hotfix is on the way!

Greg

Joshua_Marshall
Not applicable

After installing hotfix 19 I still have this issue on a HP DL380G5 server.

I have reinstalled the remote agent on the HP server, rebooted both it and the media server and recreated my IDR boot disk, but it still finds no network adapters.

any suggestions?

Steve_Harris_2
Level 3
Have downloaded the IDR fix for build 7170, started an IDR, this time it finds both my network devices (2 NIC's - HP NC371i Multifunction Gigabit Server Adapter & HP NC380T PCIe DP Multifunc Gig Server Adapter) aswell as raid controller, fibre controller etc which before weren't found.  Althought this time the network adapters with the red crosses are not shown so when I click Install Network it can't find any adapter.  IDR is essential for us and I feel like I'm paying to beta test options which should work in the first place.  Anyone had any success with IDR on a HP DL580 G4?

Steve_Harris_2
Level 3
Anyone any ideas?

Steve_Harris_2
Level 3
Have now managed to get the idr wizard to display the network adapters, which are listed as 'Network Bus Enumerator', however, after downloading every driver and reusing the driver which was originally installed for the NIC, I still cannot get the network to install.  This is a show stopper, it seems backup exec is very good at backing up data, only problem comes when you need to restore a system (the main reason the software was purchased).  I'm trying to advise this product to a business that will be backing up 100+ servers and I'm finding it hard work to sell it to them.  I will have to start looking elsewhere for a solution of the problem soesn't get resolved.

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Hi Steve,

I've been through this myself.
The solution is.. sell the product, don't sell IDR.

Install Windows
Push veritas agent
Restore

Works every time, and it's cheaper.

I don't mean to be critical of the product, but if IDR generates any issues at all, then it's self defeating as an "intelligent" product.

Allen_K
Level 6
Tech support has forwarded the following information for your issue...

"this if fixed in Hotfix 19."

Message Edited by LakeRat on 10-19-2007 10:45 PM