cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10d backs up very slow!

Zsolt_Friedrich
Level 4
Dear Support!

I received the 10d version of BE. I installed it without problems, but the backup speed fell back to the half of the previous version, the verifying speed fell back to the quater!!! A full backup (about 270 GB) with verify took about 7 hours with v10.0, this time is now about 18 hours!!!

I run the single english BE server on english Win2000 Server OS, I have a robotic library: HP StorageWorks MSL6030. I installed all the patches, and the latest Symantec tape driver package (released on 15/12/05).

I make backup from Novell, Windows servers, and Domino databases. I checked the backup speed at each server, but all of them are slower (not a specified server slows down the whole backup).

This "speed" is unacceptable! Please help asap!

Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Are there any errors in the event viewer related to the device?

Also please see the technote below:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/231488

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Dennis_Stratman
Level 4
Have you rechecked the Open File options for the Timeout for each open file it locates? If the setting is high, it will wait for each file to close for that amount before moving on to the next file. This obviously does not apply if there are no open files.

Dennis_Stratman
Level 4
As a test, try backing up some file from one of the slow servers that are known to not be in use and see what the rate is. Run a second test of the same files but have each one of the test files open while the test is running.

Compare the backup rate for both to determine if the Open File settings are a possible cause for the slow down.

Hope this helps.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please update us on this issue.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Zsolt_Friedrich
Level 4
Hi!

Sorry, I was on a training!

Open File Option: We have it just on a Windows server. The AOFO is set to Automatic, and when there is no OFO on a server, "Open file backup..." is set to "Never".

However the Joblog claims after backup:

"AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\ALH-NS01\C:". Advanced Open File Option used: Symantec Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP).
AOFO: The required module VSPAPI.dll cannot be found. The Advanced Open File Option may not be properly installed. Reinstall this option, restart the computer, and then run the job again."

I tried to reinstall OFO, but it says, anything is OK, the option is successfully installed.

The other server backups are also slow.

I cannot see any errors at the backup device.

Thanks.

Zsolt_Friedrich
Level 4
Sorry, there are error messages in the Event Viewer:

"The device, \Device\Scsi\Cpq32fs21, is not ready for access yet. "

But the device seems to be OK. It is online in Backup Exec Admin, Devices tab, and it works, but much slower that befor ethe upgrade to version 10d.

Thanks!

Zsolt_Friedrich
Level 4
Can you help me with this?

Zsolt_Friedrich
Level 4
I updated the driver of the SCSI card, but the error message in the Event Viewer still exists. :( What shall I do?

Zsolt_Friedrich
Level 4
I still don't have solution for this issue...

Zsolt_Friedrich
Level 4
Hi,

You wanted me to update the topic in a few days, but you didn't give me any answer. It would be better if you say that "this is not a BE problem, but a Windows one", instead saying nothing... But I think you should even support me in this case too, because it is linked the the BE! Don't you think so?

Thanks!

Regards