cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10d

keepsmiling
Level 3

Hi

I have a feeling this is really easy but for the life of me i cannot work it out

We backup to disc everyday and would like 1 job followed by another job to run, simple! However, whilst i have managed to get the backups to create different .bkf files the first backup which runs is not visible on the restore list. So even though the write protect has worked, restoring the first job cannot be achieved. What am i doing wrong?

Thanks

Simon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

keepsmiling
Level 3

Hi Craig

Apologies for not responding sooner

The tapes are overwritable and appendable and there are no alerts requiring a response.

This ticket can be closed as we have temporary found a way round it. I may however re-visit this later on

Thanks for all your suggestions

Simon

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Try re-cataloging the media & also ensure the beginning backup & ending backup date filters are unchecked on the restore window...

keepsmiling
Level 3

I have tried re-cataloging the media, which runs fine, but i'm still unable to see the actual file which i backed up. I can see the correct server and when i drill down it says 'No selections' as per attachment. The filter is not turned on

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Are you just backing up the B2D files, or did you create a Duplicate to tape job? This is the recommended method to do this as it messes up the catalogs if you just backup the *.bkf files.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It could be that your OPP is not set long enough so the first backup is overwritten by the subsequent backups.  Check your OPP and lengthen it if necessary.

keepsmiling
Level 3

We are backing up the raw data and the .bkf files are being written to the backup drive, there is no duplicate to tape jobs.

The OPP is set to infinite

Thanks for suggestions so far

CraigV

Not recommended...create a duplicate-to-tape job to run after your B2D and then you should be able to restore your data.

In your case now, try restoring the *.bkf files to another B2D folder, catalog that and see if your data is available for restore if at all possible.

Thanks!

keepsmiling
Level 3

This seems really complicated for simply doing 2 jobs per night onto a disk. Is this the only way possible?

CraigV

It is Symantec's best practice so yes it should be your only way. It's seriously simple...just create the duplicate job to run after your B2D.

Otherwise you probably won't be able to restore from tape. Use it...don't use it.

keepsmiling
Level 3

Ok so here's what i done as a test....

Created job A to run at 14:30 recurring

Created job B to run at 14:31 recurring

Created Duplicate backup set to follow a job and then selected job A

Job A and job B ran fine and created to seperate bkf files on the external HDD as expected

The duplicate backup set then ran but kept saying queueing then loading then queueing etc

What have i done wrong?

CraigV

...are your tapes overwritable or appendable/ Check to see if there are any alerts and respond to them.

keepsmiling
Level 3

Hi Craig

Apologies for not responding sooner

The tapes are overwritable and appendable and there are no alerts requiring a response.

This ticket can be closed as we have temporary found a way round it. I may however re-visit this later on

Thanks for all your suggestions

Simon