cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11d & Exchange 2010?

WorldBuilder
Level 4

Hi all,

I have recently built a Microsoft Active Directory domain for the school at which I work.  Among other things, I have:

1. A Server 2008 R2 domain controller
  2. Exchange 2010 x64 on Server 2008 R2
  3. A Server 2008 R2 file server (x64)
  4. A Server 2003 R2 file server

I have also built a "support" server (running on Server 2003 R2) that is attached to a Sun StorageTek L20 with two LTO2 tape drives.  Several years ago I was the administrator of a Backup Exec Datacenter Edition solution at my last company.  But I was trained by the previous admin and never actually built it myself.  Besides, it's been nearly 3 years since I've touched such a product!

Now I'm fixing to start this all from the beginning...  I suspect that getting the file servers backed up to tape will be pretty easy.  My concern is Exchange.  First and foremost, all I have available to me is Backup Exec 11d that the school purchased a few years ago.  If necessary, I could purchase a newer version, but being cash-strapped, it would be nice if we could avoid that.

So the main question is...  Will Backup Exec 11d work with Exchange 2010 x64?  If so, does it need any add-ons?  If not, what are my options?  Any good resources for setting this up?

By all means, please feel free to explain things like I'm a 5 year-old...  LOL!  No offense taken.  I'm new to this...

Thanks!

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...it would simply be a case of installing a server with Windows Server 2008 R2 x64, and loading BE 2010 R2 (which is the latest). Add in all your agents (Exchange agent obviously), and then do the following:

1. Create a selection list that includes your Information Store. Keep your Exchange backups seperate from data backups, as if you use AOFO, it is going to cause issues with Exchange somewhere along the line.

2. Create a job/policy to back up your Exchange server, and make sure AOFO isn't selected. GRT should be enabled, and you can now restore individual files from tape which is a BIG improvement over previous versions.

3. For your media server, after installing BE 2010 R2, update it immediately. In fact every time you patch BE, push those updates out via a push-install to any remote servers.

Give these technotes a solid read too...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO21796

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO21773

Cheers,

Craig

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

CraigV

Hi,

No go...only Backup Exec 2010 + BE 2010 R2 can back up Exchange 2010!

And your media server needs to be x64 OS too, so Windows Server 2008 x64!

CraigV

...it would simply be a case of installing a server with Windows Server 2008 R2 x64, and loading BE 2010 R2 (which is the latest). Add in all your agents (Exchange agent obviously), and then do the following:

1. Create a selection list that includes your Information Store. Keep your Exchange backups seperate from data backups, as if you use AOFO, it is going to cause issues with Exchange somewhere along the line.

2. Create a job/policy to back up your Exchange server, and make sure AOFO isn't selected. GRT should be enabled, and you can now restore individual files from tape which is a BIG improvement over previous versions.

3. For your media server, after installing BE 2010 R2, update it immediately. In fact every time you patch BE, push those updates out via a push-install to any remote servers.

Give these technotes a solid read too...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO21796

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO21773

Cheers,

Craig

WorldBuilder
Level 4

OK, so bottom line is that my BackupExec 11d will NOT back up Exchange 2010 x64.  Correct?

Assuming so...

It is my understanding that on my Exchange Server itself, it IS possible to use the built-in Windows backup feature to back up the mail store.  If that's so, could I do that to one of my file servers, then back up that data from the FS with 11d?

At least until I get a newer version of Bacup Exec in place?

Because from what you guys are saying, not only do I need to upgrade BE, but I need it on an x64 OS as well.  That I have, but I don't have a serer lying around that is x64 capable!  So I'll need that, too!  We're now talkin' a lot of money I'll have to budget for over time...

Chris

CraigV

Hi Chris,

Yes...backing up Exchange 2010 with an internal backup app will work. As long as the server that you will be backing up that data too has the BE 11d RAWS agent installed, you can pick up that data from there.

Get hold of the BE 2010 Admin Guide, and check out www.backupexec.com...there are a lot of new, and really good features that ship with BE 2010 R2.

Obviously cost is an issue, but as an aside, what you want to do will work...

Craig

CraigV

...if you want, you can use the x64 file server as a Backup Exec 2010 R2 server! Just a thought...?

WorldBuilder
Level 4

You make a good point, Craig.  I could use FS1 (the x64 box) as the backup server as well...  I wonder if it has the horsepower, though...

It's an HP DL380 G4 w/ 4GB RAM

It's already running an external HP Drive Array, but that has an LVD SCSI pass-through.  So, in theory I could hook up the L20 that way.

Seems like an awful lot to ask of a 5-6 year-old server.  Be a primary FS and a backup server...  Your thoughts?

THANKS!

Chris

PS.  What is "RAWS"?

CraigV

RAWS = Remote Agent for Windows Servers.

Well, to answer the other question...my backup server used to be an HP ProLiant DL360 G4p up until 2 months ago, when I pulled a ProLiant DL385 G2 out of our lab and put that into production as its replacement.

THe DL360 G4p did very well as my backup server. As long as the SCSI card is a U320, that will work well.

Craig

WorldBuilder
Level 4

You've given me a great deal to think about and a lot of options.  Thanks!  I'll post back.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Do note that BE 11d does not support Server 2008, so even your scheme to backup your Exchange 2010 with the built-in Windows facility and then BE will not work.

WorldBuilder
Level 4

Hi fellas,

OK, good stuff...  I have managed to get BE 2010 with ALL the bells and whistles through Symantec's donation program via TechSoup.  $100 for every conceivable feature of BE 2010.  :)

In addition, I just placed an order for a DL380 G4 server which I will use to run it all.  Got one for a good deal so overall I should be able to get this squared away.

Problem should be solved.  I haven't used BE in years, so I've no doubt that I'll be posting back with questions.  Thanks!

Chris

CraigV

Hi Chris,

Good stuff...can you then please close this forum query off with the solution?

Thanks!