cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11d Services Failing to start

BrisSBS
Level 3

Note from me - I ran the "Repair Database" option in the BEUtility.exe and that fixed the issue. When opening the tool it said to use it only under the direction of Symantec Support Services, but I took the chance; it worked.

Hi anyone,

A client's server lost power last week and restarted under control of UPS. Since then the BE services won't restart. I'm getting a "cannot connect to master database" error 0x80004005. I looked up an article (http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/274119.htm) that said it can happen when server is renamed, but that's not the case. I ran the BEUtility.exe and did a diagnosis, for which I have the log. Posted below is the dbrecover.log but I can provide the bediag.txt too if need be.

In the SQL Server Configuration Manager I see that the (BKUPEXEC) is running, but the services cannot access the running config.

Help please!

Server is MS SBS 2003 SP2 with SQL 2005. System drive is C: and Data (including some programs like BE) is D: and hardware is Dell PE2900.

Backup Exec Database Recovery
02/18/09 12:37:19
-----------------------------
Initializing...
BEGetComputerName = 'CP-SRV1'
GetBeVirtualServerName = ''
Using node name for media server
Data for BE database:
Structure size: 6500
Media Server  : CP-SRV1
Node, if clust:
SQL Server    : CP-SRV1
Instance Name : BkupExec
SQL Instance  : CP-SRV1\BkupExec
SQL Service   : MSSQL$BkupExec
Database      : BEDB
App Data Path : D:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data
Database Path :
Database Log  :
Database File : D:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEDB_dat.mdf
Database Log  : D:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEDB_log.ldf
Backup File   : D:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEDB.bak
Base File     : D:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEDB_dat.bak
Base Log File : D:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEDB_log.bak
Is Local      : TRUE
IsDatabaseMgr : TRUE
Recover database using best method..
OpenFromInitializationString Connection String = Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=False;Initial Catalog=master;Data Source=CP-SRV1\BkupExec;Locale Identifier=1033;Application Name=BEWS DBUTIL hr=0x80004005
Error connecting to master database: hr = 0x80004005
OS ERROR: 0x80004005 (-2147467259)
Status of database BEDB is unknown
Fixing up any database linkage problems for 'BEDB'
Execute command: declare @@stemp as varchar(32)
select @@stemp = isnull(convert(varchar,databasepropertyex('BEDB','status')),'NOT EXIST')
print 'Database status: ' + @@stemp
if @@stemp <> 'ONLINE' and @@stemp <> 'NOT EXIST'
begin
print 'Forcing database detach'
EXEC sp_detach_db 'BEDB'
end

OpenFromInitializationString Connection String = Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=False;Initial Catalog=master;Data Source=CP-SRV1\BkupExec;Locale Identifier=1033;Application Name=BEWS DBUTIL hr=0x80004005
Execute command failed: 0x80004005
Status of database BEDB is unknown
File Exist Check: \\CP-SRV1\D$\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEDB_dat.mdf
File Exist: TRUE
Attach database BEDB
File Exist Check: \\CP-SRV1\D$\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEDB_dat.mdf
File Exist Check: \\CP-SRV1\D$\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEDB_log.ldf
Execute command: sp_attach_db 'BEDB','D:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEDB_dat.mdf','D:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEDB_log.ldf'
Execute command failed: 0x80004005
Deinitialize...

Process completed
02/18/09 12:37:20

Message Edited by BrisSBS on 02-17-2009 07:21 PM
Message Edited by BrisSBS on 02-17-2009 07:27 PM
1 REPLY 1

BENJAMINPONS
Not applicable
Hi, just in order to know if you've found a solution to your problem....
I've got the same, I tried to uninstall-reinstall, to correct the database with BE Utility but nothing to do, the problem keep there...

Thanks