cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11d requesting additional LTO2 tape for backup after changing to new backup-tapes

stigvj
Not applicable
Hello.

We have a system running Backup Exec 11d and we use a lto tape station for the backup. Yesterday I changed the tape set for my backup solution, because I started to get messages about my tapes not beeing data grade. I originally had a set of Tandberg tapes (LTO2 200/400GB) which had no problems backing up 230 gb of data to one tape. I loaded my new Sony LTO2 (200/400GB) tapes into the LTO-reader and ran inventory and labeling for all my new tapes. I then moved all my tapes to the existing Backup Media Set, and retired my old tapes.

When I got to work this morning, I noticed that Backup Exec requested an adittional tape to complete the backup. When I check the used space on my old tapes they use about 160gb for storing my 230gb backup, so it's obvious that they are compressing my backup. Why can't my new tapes do the same? I thought that they would inherit every option from the existing backup set when i moved them to the backup media set
1 REPLY 1

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Why can't my new tapes do the same? I thought that they would inherit every option from the existing backup set when i moved them to the backup media set.

The tapes did inherit the media set properties, but they will not inherit the actual tape properties such as space, compression ratio and things of this nature.