cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The job failed with the following error: An invalid command was sent to the storage device.

Jay82
Level 2
Hi,

I have and IBM Ultrium 3 tape device attched by scsi using 11d.  I am able to inventory the tapes and erase tapes, I can also create jobs and they start to run, however after backing up roughly around 400MB sometimes runs into 3GB the job stops and then this error appears. The job failed with the following error: An invalid command was sent to the storage device.
Does anyone have any ideas what this could be?

Thanks for your help

Jay
2 REPLIES 2

comcap
Not applicable
Seems I have the same kind of problem.
Since recently I am recieving errors in event viewer
under system
Source:iScsiPrt / Event ID:9   Target did not respond in time for a SCSI request.  
Source:iScsiPrt / Event ID:27 Initiator could not find a match for the initiator task tag in the received PDU.
Source:iScsiPrt / Event ID:39 Initiator sent a task management command to reset the target.
Source:iScsiPrt / Event ID:49 Target failed to respond in time to a Task Management request.

And under Application:
Source:Backup_Exec / Event ID:34113 The job failed with the following error: An invalid command was sent to the storage device.
Source:Backup_Exec / Event ID:57600 An unknown error occurred on device "HP 10".
Source:Backup_Exec / Event ID:33152 ERROR_INVALID_FUNCTION

We already installed new drivers for the Library and the tape drives, but without any change.

I hope someone has a usefull reaction or solution for this problem.

ComCap

PHOENIX_2
Level 4
Partner
Hi,

These issues occurs when either latest tape driver are not installed or the Tape drive/library is not initialized properly.

For this i request you to install latest tape drivers, that you can download from symantec site or by running Live Update. Here is the link that you can follow:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/downloads/export.asp?ddProduct=BEWNT&file=be7170RHF16_32bit_290606.exe&source=1&url=/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/&id=290606

note:
after installing tape drivers do not forget to run a repair of backup exec 11d.

If after this the problems not solved follow the below mentioned steps:

1. Shutdown the Backup Server
  2. Shutdown the Tape Device.
  3. Wait for a minute, and check the SCSI cable in case if it is loosened.
  4. Now restart the tape device.
  5. After the tape device is started, start the Backup Server.
The sequence should not be altered. And start backup server only after tape device is started.

Might this would help you