cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5_APP-OPP_Best Practice

Rachid
Level 2
Dear All,

I have setup 3 backup policies, a daily backup, weekly and monthly backup and i am using LTO4 1.6TB tapes in a Dell PowerVault 2000 Library.

Requirements:
  1. Keep one week "Daily Incremental Backup" until I am sure the full weekly backup is completed successfully.
  2. Keep 3 weeks "Weekly Full Backup + 4th week Daily Incr" until i am sure the monthly full back is completed successfully.
  3. Keep one year "Monthly Full Backup" and send monthly data backup tapes to a different site but i want to use the most of my tapes space before ejecting them from the library.
The configuration is as below:

Daily runs       _Mon -Thurs.
Weekly runs   _1st/2nd and 3rd Friday of each month.
Monthly runs _4th Friday each month.

Media Sets

Daily         _APP is 4Days and OPP is 3days.
Weekly     _APP is 28Days and OPP is 2 Days.
Monthly   _APP is 12Months and OPP is 2 Days.

Backups time information:

Daily backup                      : size is about 70GB and it takes 6 hours to finish.
Weekly backup                 : size is 2TB and it takes about 3 Days to finish
Monthly backup                : size is 2.6 TB and it takes 3 Days to finish.          

Are the above settings correct or do you advice any changes.

Many thanks,

4 REPLIES 4

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

OK if you use the daily media on Monday and append to the same media on Tuesday , Wednesday Thursday and Friday - intending to use the same tape again on the Monday of the following week then that won't work.

Reason is the Overwrite protection period starts at the end of the last job to write to the media - so assuming the daily jobs starts at 20:00 and takes 2 hours to run, the media will only be overwritable at 22:00 on the Monday - not 20:00 like you might want - so you will need to adjust things a little to allow for that. Not sure if the same effect would stop it being appendeable at the start of the Friday job because the append period does start at the start of the first job.

The same affect would apply to your weekly and monthly sets as well - you need to make sure the total of the APP and OPP comes to less than your re-use cycle interval with the length of time the job takes to run also subtracted.

florin_s
Level 4
Certified

Hello,

"Daily runs       _Mon -Thurs.
Weekly runs   _1st/2nd and 3rd Friday of each month.
Monthly runs _4th Friday each month."

how about if a month has 5 weeks?
you could setup Weekly to run each Friday, Monthly to run on last Friday of the Month and also setup a template rule in the policy that if start time is the same for weekly and monthly then Monthly oversedes Weekly.

br,
florin

p.s. this would work with 1 policy and 3 templates(it's not a viable solution if you have separate policies for daily, weekly, monthly)

Rachid
Level 2
Hi Guys,

Thanks Colin, i only run my dialy backup for 4 days. ie my thursday backup  starts 7pm and ends at around 1am on friday, so the OPP starts at 1 am friday and finished 1am Monday and i should be able to write to the tape at 7pm on monday.

Hey florin, sorry for the confusion, I am actualy running 1 backup policy with 3 templates as you mentioned. below are the rules:

Rachid
Level 2
Hello Colin,

I have chnaged OPP for the daily backup to 2 days, are my settings for the weekly and monthly backups correct.

Weekly     _APP is 28Days and OPP is 2 Days.
Monthly   _APP is 12Months and OPP is 2 Days.

Thanks