cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 Exchange Information Store missing

Diederik
Level 3
Hey all,

I have a rather annoying problem with my Backup Exec 12.5.
My backups fail because of the following error:

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fe1f - The device cannot be found.
Final error category: Resource Errors

My Exchange Server 2007 Information Store is what it cannot find, and if I try to make a new selection list, it's also gone.
It still shows 'Information Store' but the First and Second storage group isn't showing.

My exchange management console is installed on both the backup server (win2003 32bit) and the exchange server (win2003 64bit - Exchange 2007).
They are the same version and I checked some dll's like ese.dll and esebcli2.dll and both are version 8.1.xxx

How can I fix this problem so my Information store is again backupped?

Thnx,

Diederik
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Abhijit_Soman
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Please find belo snap for this and the option for Exchange active / passive backup

imagebrowser image

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32

Symboy
Level 6
Accredited Certified
Hi

Please check the link if exchange 2007 is in CCR Environment

http://support.veritas.com/docs/297185

Diederik
Level 3
The complete "Information Store" item is now missing from the list from the mail server on Backup Exec. 
I searched for the regkey as you suggested, and it didn't exists, so I created it.. 
But because I can't select the inf. store on backup exec, I can't test this now.. 

Other suggestions how to get this back in the list ?
The exchange option is still installed, it still shows the licence key.

Ed_Hynds
Level 2
Partner

Hi,

I have the same issue.  Fresh installation of SBS 2008. Installed Backup Exec 12.5 and can't see Exchange Information Store in the selection list.  I've ran all updates checked my license key, tried an eval license and still can't see it!

Interestingly if I run the backup exec license assesment tool, it has no mention of the Exchange Agent, other servers I have do list Exchange.

If I go to Help -> About -> License Information, it show that Exchange is licensed and installed.

Help!

Thanks

Ed

kkate
Level 5
Accredited

please check for Windows update.......It may fix the problem.. Many a times computer Browser service stops and you could not access the network resources. It might be possible even though you have latest patch installed for antivirus, but then also you should update windows....

Please check and reply,.

KK

Diederik
Level 3
My windows updates are all deployed automatically by WSUS, except for the Exchange Rollups etc..
I 'm sure I can acces the network resources, because it let's me backup the hard drives, system state, etc of the Exchange server... 
It's only the Information Store that's missing... 
On a new selection list, its completely gone!

Some extra info:

Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition 32 bit SP2
Backup Exec 12.5 Rev 2213
Exchange Management Console: v5.2 R2 (Build 3790.srv03_sp2_gdr.080813-1204 : Service Pack 2)
dll versions : v8.1.3xx (should be higher or equal to the ones on the Exchange server)
Agent for MS Exchange Server Licensed and installed

Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition 64 bit SP2
Exchange Server 2007: v08.01.0311.002
Exchange Management Console: v5.2 R2 (Build 3790.srv03_sp2_gdr.080813-1204 : Service Pack 2)
dll versions : v8.1.2xx

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Try by removing your licensing for your Exchange agent, and then reinstall it.
What SP do you have installed for Backup Exec?

Abhijit_Soman
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hi All

His initial error is

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fe1f - The device cannot be found.
Final error category: Resource Errors

Diederik: can you let me know are you able to backup other servers? 1st check with local server backup. Because the error is saying The device not found

Please check for tape drive connectivity error first. Then try other possibilities

Let me know if any issues

Diederik
Level 3
Hey,

My backup runs, althought giving me the 'backup failed' message afterwards, the bytecount is more or less what is should be .. 
The tapedrive is not the problem !
If i run a backup of only some specific folder or smth, that works...

The error you mention is related to the disappearing of the Information Store... 

Abhijit_Soman
Level 6
Partner Accredited
This issue occurs because Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 Service Pack 1 disables remote streaming backup and restore by default. When the backup is initiated from the passive node, the active node is considered remote.
To further confirm the cause of this issue check for event id 917 under Application Event Logs on the Exchange Server(s) with the following description:

Event Source: ESE BACKUP
Description:
Information Store (2212) A remote (TCP/IP) based streaming backup was attempted. This functionality has been disabled by default settings.

Resolution:

Cluster continuous replication (CCR) environments require remote streaming backup for seed operations. To back up the CCR databases from the passive node, the remote streaming backups must be enabled on both the active and passive nodes .

To enable Remote Streaming Backups change the following registry value to 1 on both the nodes:

1. Open the Registry Editor (Click Start > Run > type regedit)
Warning: Incorrect use of the Windows registry editor may prevent the operating system from functioning properly. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows registry. Registry modifications should only be carried-out by persons experienced in the use of the registry editor application. It is recommended that a complete backup of the registry and workstation be made prior to making any registry changes

2. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\ParametersSystem and set the value of the following registry key to 1:
Name: Enable Remote Streaming Backup
Type: DWORD
Value: 1 (remote backup enabled)

Restart backup exec services on both servers and create new backup job

Please check and confirm

Diederik
Level 3
Ok.. so I checked the reg setting .. the key didn't exist.. 
I created it and restarted the services for BE on both servers, first those of the remote agent on the Exchange server, than de BE server services on my
backup server. 

Current Status:

On existing backup job selection list: Microsoft Information Store --> not listed
On new selection list: Microsoft Information Store --> listed but not correct items

It should say 'First Storage Group' & 'Second Storage Group', but instead there are to subitems listed like this:

Wrong listing (what I see now)

Microsoft Information Store
--> <only blank spaces>
     --> no items listed when I click on it
--> name mailserver
    -->  2* fully qual. domain name listed of my mailserver

!! this is very strange

Correct listing (what I saw before problem started - can see this from restore job)

Microsoft Information Store
--> First Storage Group
--> Second Storage Group

Abhijit_Soman
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Which Service Pack is installed for Backup Exec? SP1 or SP2???

Diederik
Level 3
SP2 is installed + all available hotfixes.. 

Abhijit_Soman
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Please check with the following
  1. Install same version on Exchange management console on backup server (DLL version should be match)
  2. Install latest Backup Exec Service Pack (SP2) & hotfixes. Also update the remote agent
  3. Re-create backup job
Please update me once done

Diederik
Level 3
The Management console on both servers report the exact same version, but some dll's like ese.dll and esebcli2.dll have diff. versions:
on exchange server : 8.1.274.0
on backup server : 8.1.311.2

How can i get them to be exactly the same ? The symantec site does note however that the version on the backupserver can be higher than the one of the exchange server, without problems.

* I tried to install all updates for the remote agents (you were right on that one.. it listed updates to be installed), but it fails on 2 of my servers,
and on the others it finished perfectly.
I use the same (domain admin) credentials for all the servers, but still it failed on 2 (one being the exchange server). 
Maybe the BE Exchange problem is related to this.

I can ping my exchange server from the backup server, I can browse it through the network using shares, I can logon to the server with the account I used,
but it says it can't connect.
I'm searching for a solution to this problem now.. might solve it all :)

Abhijit_Soman
Level 6
Partner Accredited
The best way to install or update remote agent is as follows

1. Copy RAWS32 folder to the remote server. This flder is available in Agents folder in Backup Exec installation on backup server
2. Loging to remote server with domain admin user account
3. Open command line console on remote server
4. Access to the folder which you have coppied
5. Run the command setupaa and press enter
6. Once cursor will back to command line open windows services and check that Backup Exec Remote Agent service is installed and started
7. Once it is started you can configure the backup job from the server.

After completion of updating remote agent, make sure that the version of BEREMOTE.EXE on remote server & backup server is the same.

Check it before configuring new backup job

Diederik
Level 3
I think my problem is solved :)
I created a new backup job, and I could select the information store, storage groups showed correctly :)
I'll run the job and see how it goes .. I'll keep you posted !!

Greetz,

Diederik

Abhijit_Soman
Level 6
Partner Accredited
thats great.....

Pllease check and confirm

Once completed Please Remember to Mark as Solution

Diederik
Level 3
Ok .. I'm not completely done so it seems .. 

I get this error when I try to backup the Information Store:

0xe000037b - Using the job settings, Backup Exec attempted to back up
the passive copy of the Exchange database. However, the passive copy was not
available after the Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot was
performed. Try to run the job again.

I remember that I changed the setting to passive, and if that does not work take active.. 
Setting used to be just active before.. 
Now I can't find it anymore .. 

Diederik
Level 3
I think the options gone, because I can't see the license for Echange server on BE anymore .. 
Seems it installed the trial one when i deleted the license and readded it.. 

BE is really testing my patience ! brrr