cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 Installation

Evolution
Level 2
Hi

My company recently purchased backup exec 12.5 and I am having a problem installing it. Everything goes smoothly till the installation gets to the point of asking where to place the database. Now because of my current server setup the media server for backup exec has too be installed on the database server (running SQL server 2000 SP4).

Now the problem I am getting is when the installation asks where to place the database I select my existinng instance of SQL server 2000 on the current database server however backup exec installation throws up an error message saying "The Microsoft SQL server <server name> is not a valid SQL server instance on which to install the database. Select an instance on which either of the following are installed : SQL server 2000 with service pack 3a (or later) SQL server 2005 with service pack 2 (or later) or SQL server 2008". Please See screen shot attached to this post.

I already have SP4 installed for SQL server 2000 so why would backup exec tell me the local instance of SQL is not valid? I even reinstalled SP4 just to make sure it was there but the install still doesn't work. The server itself passes the environment check and backup exec realises that SQL server 2000 SP4 is installed but then why does it not allow me to install the database on it.

I would really prefer not to have to use SQL server express as the last time I installed that it didn't work out to well with SQL server 2000 and when I came back into server 2003 I couldn't get backup exec to open, it kept telling me that some service couldn't be started (even though I tried restarting all backup exec services many times).

Can some one help me with this issue because until I can get it sorted I cannot do or restore any backups which makes me VERY uncomfortable.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Evolution
Level 2
I figured out the problem on my own. The domain Admin account which I was using to install backup exec from was the issue. In SQL the default database for that account wasn't set to the SQL master database it was set to another database that we use. Once I switched the default back to master database the install completed as expected.

I am posting this incase anyone in the future has this problem...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Are there any specific errors in your Event Viewer?

Evolution
Level 2
The application event viewer is clean no errors are reported. The only logs in there are the standard information logs from windows when the various services startup at server boot.

I remember last year when my former boss installed backup exec 12.0 we had an issue with it installing because we had to use the correct user account. Could it be this same issue again that is causing this? When I am installing I am using the domain administrator account as well as using that account in the installation box.
This is a very strange error because the SQL server installation is running flawless right now the users are logged in and everything is normal, so why is backup exec saying that the instance is not valid... I would prefer to use the SQL 2000 server that is currently installed. When we had version 12.0 installed previously and it was using the same instance of SQL server 2000 so why does this new version not want to use the very same instance?

Evolution
Level 2
Hi

Does anyone else have any ideas? I need to get this software working so I can run the necessary backups.

Thanks

Evolution
Level 2
I figured out the problem on my own. The domain Admin account which I was using to install backup exec from was the issue. In SQL the default database for that account wasn't set to the SQL master database it was set to another database that we use. Once I switched the default back to master database the install completed as expected.

I am posting this incase anyone in the future has this problem...