cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 - Is

Boydy
Level 3

Hi All,

We have just implemented a BACKUP LAN in one of our DMZ's.  We currently have 3 Production Web Servers named:

• Web01
  • Web02
  • Web03

The second NIC on each server is configured with a seperate static IP Address.  BE 12.5 works fine as expected however we have introduced another 3 web servers which are exact clones of the Web1 to Web3.  Thy also have been assigned completely different IP addresses on their second NICS and connected to the BACKUP_LAN.

With this function we was hoping to have one central backup server and 6 x Web Servers (3 Productions + 3 Clones).  However to distinguish which web server we need to backup or restore to we have had to modify the hosts file and add CloneWeb01 - 03 along with their respective IP addresses.  BE 12.5 can see the Clone Web boxes via IP address and authenticates correctly however when trying to add CloneWeb01 via User Defined Selections it responds back with a failure to access.

The name resolution is fine when using ICMP and I can net view CloneWeb01\c$.  So it shows permissions is correct.

Has anyone got any ideas if this can be done?  

4 REPLIES 4

MitchR
Level 6

Yes, and it sounds like you're going about it the right way.  If you're addressing servers by name (and not IP), and using a name that resolves to an IP range that only exists on the "Backup LAN" - you should be all set.

In a previous job, many versions ago, I had this exact setup running.

HOWEVER... I would add that if you've got your servers all on the same subnet, all running Gigabit - there's no need to bother.  I have yet to see a Gigabit network get saturated running typical production stuff, even with backups thrown on top.  Run some network analysis before you invest in a whole seperate backup network.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

if you have setup DNS with an alternate name, try setting  the remote agent to publish to the alternate name

See the Admin Guide page 892

Boydy
Level 3

Thanks for the prompt replies. 

When creating a new "User-defined" selection and specifying the IP address I can expand the selection and choose files to backup however when i insert the host name it pops up with a "failure to access" message.  It certainly has issues when trying this way.

There is no DNS setup apart from the hosts file.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

go ahead and create your User Defined Share that way. Just publish to that IP from the Agent