cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 & LTO2 Tapes - how to add?!!

StuieUK
Level 3

This should be an easy one, and for me, am having a thick moment.....

I have backup exec 12.5 on a win2003 server, with an external Dell LTO2 drive...

I have 5 tapes, which i use to do daily backups (195gb per day).  I use the 'Daily Backup Set'.

I've just purchased 2 new LTO2 tapes, as wanting to store monthly backups...

However, i cant get BE to write to the tapes ?  eventual error is tape drive dirty, yet stick the original 5 in the drive, all works fine...
I try to run the 'Media Label' to call the tape a name, but still get same error ? :(

Do i need to do anything so BE can write to any tape i stick in the drive ?

6 REPLIES 6

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Run inventory on the tape and then  run a quick earse on the tape before you run the backup

StuieUK
Level 3

:(

Did the inventory, then did the quick erase... Lasted 12 mins, then shows failed.....

Drive i am using is a Dell Powervault 110T...
As said, my TDK LTO2 tapes work fine, and BE detects the tapes as LTO tapes....

When i put these new Sony ones in, BE shows a yellow question mark in the media screen as opposed to picking up as LTO...

Tried assigning media label and changing properties to say its an LTO tape, but still fails to do anything :(

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

StuieUK
Level 3

Have tried Name the media, add to daily backup set, etc...

i get an error to say there is a fault with the tape drive, yet put my original TDK tapes in, and all works a treat!

Maybe Sony tapes dont like Dell drives ?!!

StuieUK
Level 3

I get this:

The device has reported the following TapeAlert diagnostic information.
Please contact your device manufacturer for more information regarding TapeAlerts.

Warning - A severe error occurred while reading or writing data.  This job may not have been successfully completed.
Robotic Library:
Drive: CERTANCE 1
Slot:

Critical - The tape drive needs cleaning:
1. If the operation has stopped, eject the tape and clean the drive.
2. If the operation has not stopped, wait for it to finish and then clean the drive.
Check the tape drive users manual for device specific cleaning instructions.
Robotic Library:
Slot:

Critical - The tape is damaged or the drive is faulty.  Call the tape supplier helpline.
Robotic Library:
Slot:

------------------------------

But when using the TDK tapes, i dont get the above and all data backs up fine!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you confirmed the compatibility of these sony tapes with the dell library ?

What does the media type show as for these sony tapes ?

And are you using symantec device drivers or the OEM ones ? If the latter, try installing symc drivers...

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

The TapeAlert reporting that the drive needs cleaning or that the tape is damaged or the drive is faulty comes DIRECTLY from the tape drive itself.  That is not a Backup Exec generated error message and there is nothing BE can do to resolve it.

Either your drive needs cleaning, your media is bad or the drive is bad.  I suggest contacting Dell support or seeing if they have a diagnostic tool you can run.