cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 Removable Backup 2 Disk

JamCanMan
Level 3
I am using a Dell RD1000 and have configured it as a Removable Backup 2 disk folder with Backup Exec 12.5.

I have been trying to find the best way to organize the backup files but I have failed so I am asking for help....

When using removable backup to disk folders what is the best way to keep track of which files are on which cartrdige????

i.e.

I have 4 RD1000 cartridges/disks/whatever you want to call them. Each one of them represents a week in the month so Full-Backup-W1, Full-Backup-W2 ...etc

I have labelled each cartridge as such in BE but when I go to look at the media tab all I get is a gigantic list of B2D files with no correspondance to which cartridge they are on!! This of course makes tracking all my backups a logistical NIGHTMARE!

So I have to ask how can I tie the B2D files to a certain cartridge, so that when I look at the media tab, I see the B2D file but more importantly I know which cartridge it was written to??

Anyone out there who has been able to figure this out or found a way to organize their backups so that it is manageable please Help!!!

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2

benjamin7062
Level 2
Were you ever able to find a solution to this problem?  

This is the exact issue we are having.  Our intention is to migrate from a tape robotic library to 60+ 2TB HD's and swap them in/out very similar to tapes in several HD bays.  The B2D functionality in Backup Exec is quite primitive.  Backup Exec treats the flat files on the hard drives as the media and does NOT keep track of the FLDR associations when using removable media.  This makes using hard drives like tapes a legistics nightmare.  This is fine for really small scale backup solutions but this solution does not scale when you need to track 20+ HD's all with different rotation cycles.  We are able to get the 'backups' to work with a little rigging but this solution will not work if we can not label or get backup exec to be aware of the HD a particular B2D file is located on.

Worse, I can't find any reports inside Backup Exec that would at least give us a way to keep some record (albeit on ugly paper) that identify the location of a B2D flat file on a Removable B2D FLDR disk.  

Please tell me that there is some way to identify which FLDR<###> a media set B2D file is located on?   

JamCanMan
Level 3
I still have no solution to this. So far everyone has told me that this might not be possible.

If anyone has any ideas I am open to it!!