cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 Schedule

baileyphil
Level 3
Morning All

Was wondering if somebody could help me out, i have just purchased and installed Backup Exec 12.5 after previously using Arcserver for many years, i have setup a grandfather, father, son setup and all is good untill i have come to schedule the days.

I dont seem to be able to schedule the monthly backup job to run on the last day of the week, i can do the last day of the month but im afraid im not here on a Sat or a Sun to change the tapes ;0)

Somebody else must have come across this before?  I have had a search though the forum but not found anything

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Phil
4 REPLIES 4

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
For your monthly backup job
open up the schedule
go to the "Recurring Week Days" section
Put a check in either 1st Friday or Last Friday (your choice)

(Don't use the "Recurring Days of Month" section)

baileyphil
Level 3

Hi Colin

Thanks for the reply, that works except when the last friday falls before the last day of the month, i want to run the monthly back on the actual last working day of the month.

Is their any way around this?

Thanks

Phil

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Ahh we can't do last working day - it is last physical day or last named day closest to end of month. Last working day might be a nice enhancement - you can submit enhancement requests in a way that other users can vote against using the ideas tab at the top of these forums.

Your other option is to manually specify the days in the year to run on (for the whole year) and then once a year set the next year up in a similar way.

SystemsAdminAS
Level 5

Phil,

I'm using a GFS scheme myself, and we have the mon-fri schedule as you do.  What we've done is use Monday through Thursday as the daily sets (son), every Friday as the weekly sets (father), but use the first Friday of every month for the monthly (grandfather) backup.

This works well because you will always have 4 weeks every month, but running stuff on the last day can be tricky because it switches around a lot.  Technically, your monthly backup can really fall on any single day you want it to, provided it's that day consistently - if you did it on the 1st or 4th friday, you will still have backups as old as how many media you have in the grandfather set.

I have 4 dailies, 4 weeklies, and 2 monthlies (one for even months, one for odd) (and enough data where every backup eats up half an LTO4 cart), so my grandfathers' max age is about 4 months.  If I had 6 carts in the grandfather set I'd have a max of about a year of images.  Essentially, you can have as many carts in each set as you want for more images, but being that the goal is having regular new backups but always keeping some old ones in case you have to go back that far, you can scale to what makes sense.

I might add that the 4th cart of the weekly set is the elusive 5th friday of the month (which only happens now and then).